create a plan without resource and update with % complete

Home Forums Discussion Forum create a plan without resource and update with % complete

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Can we have a plan created with tasks, dependencies and duration bit no resources. For this if progress is updated using % complete, what kind of reports can we get and what is the best way of updating progress where resources dont matter?

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Without commenting on your ability to complete tasks where resources don’t matter, everything relating to the schedule is still in tact if updated correctly (that’s the key). Task start and end dates tracking to the project completion date is still available. I’m guessing you might know that but if there is something more to your question please be specific and I’ll try to help.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the quick response!

We’re trying to have a schedule with tasks, duration,start, end dates and dont enter any resources (as there are too many :))While updating progress, we just enter % complete. My concern is since there are no resources, there is no work/cost, so what kind of reports can I have?
      I can at best see tasks slipping, late tasks, etc. Is this the right way? Or should we use physical % complete and work column? I cant get EVM, s-curve, burndown or other reports-isnt it? what should I do to have these?

Please let me know the best way to update progress where we dont enter resources.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Nageswar, thanks for the additional information. That helps a lot. Being that you do know the estimated work then you can absolutely enter that as Work for the task. You can also enter Cost for that matter and Actual Cost will get calculated based on % Complete.

Now for your specific questions: Absolutely you can see all the slipping tasks, late tasks, and basically all reports based on task fields. Nothing you told me says you need Physical % Complete so % Complete should work fine. With costs and a baseline you get all the EV and SPI available. Unless you are tracking actual costs you won’t get CPI. All the advanced reporting is also available for task information. Burndown is an out of the box report in 2013 and you can take a look at the new cumulative fields of 2013 to see what you can do with s-curves and other reporting needs. They are certainly available, but you do need Project 2013 to get the reporting you are asking.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.