Create project in PWA

Home Forums Discussion Forum Create project in PWA

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Is this a good practice to create project in PWA? How would one go about doing that? I thought creating project in MS-Project is best practice.
      Appreciate your response.

Thanks.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Charan, I tend to recommend PWA because you can make it easier to fill in the required and recommended custom fields. If you have any of the following then it would be required:
      1. Projects that have unique metadata (custom fields) and different project detail pages
      2. Project that use different site templates
      There may be other reasons I can’t think of off the top of my head. In my opinion, if you have a simple environment and not concerned about managing custom fields in Microsoft Project then it is more your choice. Hope that helps.

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Charan, I’ll agree with Larry and expand on a one of his comments. Enterprise Project Types (EPTs) have associated work flows and PDPs. When you create a new project in PRO and then save it up to PWA, that project has no associated EPT and it also has no associated PDPs. If your organization uses PDPs to exclusively update project level data (as our organization does), you will not be able to access any project level fields until someone manually attaches the workflow and PDPs to the schedule you just uploaded.
      Note that there are some project level data fields types, such as multi-line text fields, that can only be updated via PDPs.

Beyond that, our organization uses EPTs as a means to ensure that each new schedule starts with the correct schedule template.

Thank you for your response. Appreciate it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.