custom field formula

Home Forums Discussion Forum custom field formula

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ness

I want to associate a formula to a project custom field ‘Project Phase’ that change the custom field Value; Here is the rule if Summary task % achieve work <=100 then ‘project Phase’ Name = ‘Summary task’ Name

I’s a first for me to use formula but. Any suggestion will really help me.

Many thanks

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

ness, it’s a bit hard to understand what you are trying to do. A task calculation is set to the detail task. Calculations on a summary task and rollup to project summary are based on that calculation (and can use a sum or the same calculation). Sorry but I’m not sure what you are trying to do.

ness

Hi Larry,

I received a request to find a way to automate the project phase change. All the projects follow a standard lifecycle of six phases which correspond to summary tasks.
      The only way I have found is to use a project custom field ‘Project Phase’ and associate a formula that calculate the current value of this field.

I think I have all puzzle pieces but with no experience with formulas I need some help 🙂

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

ness, that helps. From what you are saying you want a project level calculation based on probably each phases % Complete. I’ll try to give you some basics but you are talking about a lot of custom fields, rollups, and the a calculation across those phases. You say you have a calculation, and I assume it takes into consideration work that has been done on multiple still open phases. All I can do is provide the basics and have you do some research. Setup a task custom field with a lookup table of your phases, and assign it to each of the phase summary tasks. Then setup a task calculation field (one for each phase), that tests the field equal to the phase and results to the % Complete (assuming that’s the field you want to test against). That gives you a task field that rolls up a single number to task 0 (times six for each phase). You now have six task custom field that contain the % complete for each of your phases. You then need to create a project custom field for each phase that equals the corresponding task calculated field. That results in a project custom field for each of the phases % Complete. You can now create a calculated field that tests each of the project phase % complete fields to come up with a calculated phase.

Yes, it’s a lot of fields, a lot of work, and a lot of overhead. That also assumes your calculation will always produce the correct result. Good luck. In my opinion I’d manage PM compliance to update the project’s phase. Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.