Entering Paid Time Off Other Than Holidays

Home Forums Discussion Forum Entering Paid Time Off Other Than Holidays

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      John Murphy

I understand that you can enter Paid Time Off by editing a resource’s calendar. The PTO then shows on the Timecard view.

This works nicely but we current are not yet entering time into PWA. Also you need Project Pro to edit the calendar for the resource. I doubt everyone will have Project Pro.

So I am wondering … What is the downside of having projects like Administration, Paid Time Off, and Internal Training instead of using the built in Non Work features of PWA?

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

John, this is actually a very good question that I walk through with every new client. To answer your question, it is a matter of either adding demand vs. reducing capacity. Editing the resource calendar reduces resource capacity. That can be done by reducing resource max units and/or entering calendar exceptions. Otherwise you add demand by using separate projects. Take that against your needs for resource utilization management. Max Units and calendar exceptions work better for the Project Manager and the ability to assign/move work around in the project schedule. That method also works for resource utilization management. Separate demand projects can also be used to manage resource utilization if resources if not using calendars.

One out of the box thought. Have you thought of using timesheets ONLY for OOO entries? Entering time to a non-work administrative category will enter an exception in the resources calendar. That plus reducing Max Units for administrative time can come pretty close.

Lots of options with pros and cons to all of them. Hopefully this will give you a start on evaluating some of them.

John Murphy

Larry,

Thanks a 1 + year after you answered ! Sorry about that.

Well we have decided to track only PTO in the timesheet for those entering time. If a resource is not entering time, then they or their manager can enter time off into a PTO project. I know that this is not the best but only about 50% of our teams will be using Project Online TT to save $$.

We will have a Admin/People Management project and Training project. This will let managers to assign time for their team members. Everyone can then see ADMIN and Training time demand on resources in the Resource Center.

Again thanks for the response.

John

John

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.