How do I Change the Project Name field (Project 2013)?

Home Forums Discussion Forum How do I Change the Project Name field (Project 2013)?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Nigel Parsons
      Participant

In all versions of Project prior to 2013 – the Project Name field (displayed in the Project Summary Task as ‘Name’) could be changed by overtyping (actually in very early versions you had to change File Properties). This made sense because the default name is the file name and long file names in Project are not a good idea if one is linking to many other projects, due to the field overflow issue with Predecessor and Successor data.

I have come to realise that even though one can overwrite the name field in the Project Sumary task, it does not last through as the field is Read Only. I really do not understand this Project Name and file are two very different things and I have noticed that in the File Properties (using File Explorer) it is the ‘Title’ property that is set.

I am using a Resource Pool, could this be holding data in it’s links that is causing the overwrite or is there really no way around this?

Grateful for any insight.

Nigel Parsons
      Participant

Just to be absolutely clear the problem I am reporting only occurs when you have sub-projects within a Master Plan. For single plans this is not an issue at all however, insert those same projects into a Master Plan and all of the Task 0 names are changed back to the file name and this change is then caught up in a Save.

So really, the problem should be re-stated as ‘How do I retain the names within a Master Project Plan?’ and may well be a feature.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.