Location based scheduling

Home Forums Discussion Forum Location based scheduling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Regi Hampton

Within Ms project how would a standard schedule be changed into a location based schedule or flowline.

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Regi;
      Can you clarify what you are trying to do, give an example, and your version of project.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

I’m with Daryl. What do you mean by location based, and the only flowline I can find on the internet has to do with pipe fittings…

Tom Boyle

LBS – essentially Linear/Line-of-Balance scheduling with location coding, can be a very effective schedule and resource management approach for complex projects with repetitive steps. Such projects require scheduling decisions that focus on optimizing production rates for many resources working in parallel, often on multiple workfronts. Two main areas of application are large-scale horizontal construction projects (e.g. railways, highways, pipelines) and vertical construction projects (e.g. floor-by-floor fitouts of skyscrapers). The dominant toolsets that I’m aware of are TILOS (horizontal) and Vico Software (vertical) – both of which are now owned by Trimble. TILOS sells a module for importing CPM schedule data (from MSP or P6). Vico doesn’t mention one in their literature, and the few presentations I’ve sat through haven’t mentioned it – i.e. you have to build the schedule in Vico.

MSP doesn’t directly support LBS, so you might need to make up your own. I’ve cribbed together similar tools using Excel and some rudimentary logic on a few projects, but it isn’t easy.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.