Project Visualisation / sharing the plan with the team

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project Visualisation / sharing the plan with the team

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bjorn Sternberg
      Participant

I would like advice about the different methods available for visualising and communicating the project plan with team members and stakeholders.
      Going through a project schedule isn’t a great way to communicate the plan, the information presented that way isn’t very accessible and team members may switch off.
      I saw an MPUG webinar on 16th Nov last year about OnePager. That looks like good software for integrating with MS Project to visualise the plan. I would like to find out what other options are available to me, besides OnePager. For example, does MS Visio help to visualise the project plan? What other software is available for visualising and communicating the project plan with team members and stakeholders?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Jay Leslie

Hi Bjorn,

I’m glad you’re latching on to the difference between managing your plan (what project is good at), and communicating your plan.

There are actually a few separate tools that make Gantt charts and timelines today, specifically for communications purposes. Here are some that we hear of now and again:
      -Milestones Professional
      -Office Timeline (using PowerPoint)
      -Swimlane Timeline (using Visio)
      -Timeline Maker

The biggest difference with OnePager is that our charts are purely data-driven, using the data from your Project files (they are also read-only). OnePager is also all about automation. We’re constantly working on ways to make it faster for you, and your team, to push a button and get standardized visuals of your plan in as little time as possible. Milestones can also use your Project files, so if you’re looking for a data-driven, more automated tool, it’s essentially between that or OnePager.

The alternatives will more closely resemble a more planning-specific, manual PowerPoint experience with shapes/Templates set up to work best with timelines…so you’ll still have to work to recreate a manual representation of your plan, and then commit to manually keeping it up to date.

You’re welcome to reach out me directly for any assistance during your search at jleslie@onepager.com.

Good luck!

Jigs Gaton

Dear Bjorn,
      Ha! I just published an article here on MPUG.com that might help – use a mind mapper to visualize your plan! Everyone can understand a mind map, no? See here: https://www.mpug.com/articles/mind-mapping-your-way-to-better-microsoft-project-plans/. You can turn your plan into mind map in just a few clicks using MindJet 🙂

Bjorn Sternberg
      Participant

Thanks Jigs and Jay for the responses, much appreciated!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.