PS 2013 – Change a user to become a resource only

Home Forums Discussion Forum PS 2013 – Change a user to become a resource only

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sebastian Potthoff

Hello,
      our Project Server users can also be assigned as resources. In PS2010 it was possible to remove the user property so that the resource is kept on the server but the user is removed.
      In PS2013 the required checkbox in “Edit Resource” is no longer available (“Associate resource with a user account”). Do you have any idea how to change a user which can be assigned as a resource to become a resource only?
      The goal is to be able to create a new user with the same AD account but different resource custom field values, e.g. after the user changed departments or cost centers. We cannot just change these value because this would change data record in the past. We would loose the capability to match person to cost centers at a certain point in time.
      Thanks for your support.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Sabastian: That’s a good point as I didn’t realize the difference, but unfortunately I don’t believe there is a way to change this. I’m not saying this is the answer but I might suggest taking snapshots and managing this in reports as an option. One challenge with your solution is that all in-flight projects need to change to the new resource at that same date, even if a task is in-flight (to be accurate of course). By creating snapshots with the right resource custom fields you will be able to extract the move date for a custom report or scheduled extract. A little bit of investment might go a long way to a simplified solution. Just trying to help with an alternative is all. Hope that helps…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.