Quick Links

Reply To: Updating Actual Work to recalculate (Planned) Work for remainder of Task?

Home Forums Discussion Updating Actual Work to recalculate (Planned) Work for remainder of Task? Reply To: Updating Actual Work to recalculate (Planned) Work for remainder of Task?

Adam Ma
Participant

Thanks for the valuable information, Larry. Much appreciated.

We do have the need to update our ongoing forecast of Cost and Work effort on a monthly basis.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I found that Microsoft Project will recalculate the Work for the remaining months when I updated the Actual Work for a particular month for a particular task-resource assignment in the Task Usage view.

The challenge is that our time/cost reporting categories do not always match up to the lowest level of the WBS. In most cases we report time/cost at the Summary Task level. That’s why I was hoping that Project would also recalculate the Work for the remaining months based on the Actual Work reported at the Summary Task level.

But I agree with your statement that Project “doesn’t have enough information to determine “when” the actual work was performed.” It makes sense.

I am hoping to hear from others who have had the need to do monthly updates of forecast for the remainder of their project, how you may have handled it in Microsoft Project.

Thanks,
Adam