Quick Links

Reply To: Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed)

Home Forums Discussion Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed) Reply To: Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed)

Ivan

Kumar,

Interesting case you got there.

Apparently MSP divides the workload prior to assigning the schedule. In the resource form or resource usage, you’ll notice that both Resource 1 and 2 will work 9.6 hrs on this project, whereas resource 3 will work 4.8 hrs.
Therefore R1 and R2 will work on the task on 7th, 8th and 9th (4+4+1.6 hrs) of January. R3 will work on 7th, 12th and 13th (2+2+0.8 hrs) of January. Which is indeed a strange logic.

As a test I have added another identical task with the same resources on the same starting date. When auto scheduling this task, I’ve noticed MSP now assigns 8 hrs to each resource, even to R3. This next task has an even longer duration, because the 8 hrs workload for R3 take 4 days. This logic is different from the first task, which makes it even more confusing.

As you cannot influence the scheduling logic (as far as I know) manual changes in the resource usage is your only option. Change the work for Resource 1 and 2 to 11 hrs and for resource 3 to 2 hrs.

Regards
Ivan