Quick Links

Reply To: Adjusting durations of linked tasks.

Home Forums Discussion Adjusting durations of linked tasks. Reply To: Adjusting durations of linked tasks.

Thomas Boyle

1. I am agreeing with Larry. The stability of printed outputs is not a strength for MSP. No doubt you have tried to manually change the row height. I’ve used Acrobat Pro as the default printer for many years and mostly like its output – it is far from free.

2. Also agreeing with Larry. Check your calendars and verify all calendar assignments.
In addition, keep in mind the definitions:
– Default start time: is the clock-time that MSP will presume whenever YOU enter a start date without specifying a time. Thus, whenever you used the date picker to assign a project start date, task start date, an actual start date, an assignment start date, or a start constraint date, MSP enters whatever value is specified here at the time you make the selection. If you later change default start time, MSP does NOT go back and change all your previous entries. This has nothing to do with calendars – which is of course part of the problem.
– Default finish time: same, but for finish fields (including the project Status Date field). Once again, nothing to do with calendars – though MSP suggests that you “consider matching the project calendar using the Change Working Time command….”
– Working time calendars are used by MSP’s scheduling engine to condition its own calculations, not to modify your manual entries.

A couple observations regarding your examples:
a. There is no obvious reason for 10am-7pm default start-finish times unless your project calendar matches it. You imply that your project calendar and all the task calendars run 8am-5pm. This mismatch is a setup for the kinds of problems you are having.
b. Task starts at 10am even though “the predecessor” finishes at 5pm. Check for the following or similar reasons:
– A separate, driving predecessor finishes at 10am, less any imposed lag (assumed FS relationship);
– The task calendar has no working time before 10am;
– An actual start date has been entered with a default start time of 10am;
– A SNET constraint has been entered with a default start time of 10am;
– A fractional day of leveling delay has been assigned;
– Any of the preceding conditions are inherited from a parent or ancestor summary task.
c. Task starts at 5pm when the predecessor task finishes at 5pm. Check for the following or similar reasons:
– The task is a milestone (Duration = 0);
– The task calendar has working time after 5pm.

I would impose a table where I could see actual start/finish dates, constraint dates, and resume date with full date/time format. Then look for occurrences of 10am in these fields. Those would have been from your own inadvertent entries and could cascade through the schedule.