Quick Links

Reply To: Team collaboration, MS Project Server vs. Syncing with SharePoint?

Home Forums Discussion Team collaboration, MS Project Server vs. Syncing with SharePoint? Reply To: Team collaboration, MS Project Server vs. Syncing with SharePoint?

Larry ChristofaroLarry Christofaro
Participant

Daniel, my guess is that you don’t have matching SharePoint version or you don’t have Project Professional…but that doesn’t matter. I really try to read the question and you mention inputting their own tasks and updates. Your options are pretty limited outside of MS Project, SharePoint, or Project Server to have them add and update their own tasks. You might want to first check to see if there are any third party apps that can integrate with MS Project.

That being said, my poor-mans solution is you entering the team updates from a source document into MS Project. I’ve used either some other time tracking solution that I can print/export time to my project or have the team send you updates. The key is what do you want for updates (% complete, start date and remaining duration, etc.). Worse case, I would use a Resource Usage view to setup the columns I need for entry. I would typically filter the list for uncompleted tasks and possibly only for a limited number of weeks. You can then either print or export the details to Excel. In both MS Project and Excel you can page break between resources. Once you get the information back you can go to the same (or similar) view to update in the same sequence.

Anyway, probably not what you were hoping for but unfortunately the two solutions to make this easier are out of scope. Hope for an app, figure out what information you need, and then get that information to your users for manual entry. Lastly, hopefully someone else has some additional tips for you.