Quick Links

Reply To: How To — What is the best way to replace a resource?

Home Forums Discussion How To — What is the best way to replace a resource? Reply To: How To — What is the best way to replace a resource?

Larry ChristofaroLarry Christofaro
Participant

Sai, I am intrigued with your answer to this question as I’ve stressed over it before. The only solution I’ve been able to use that will replace actual work is to remove the current name and select a new name in the Resource Name column. My scenario from above:
1. Create one task, 3 days duration
2. Create two resources A and B
3. Assign A to the task
4. Mark the task 40% complete
5. Now select the task and Assign Resources, select that resource, replace, and select the second resource.

There is no scenario in either Project 2010 or Project 2016 (I don’t have Project 2013) that replaces actual work. I’ve used auto scheduled, manually scheduled, fixed units, fixed work. I’ve also tried replacing the resource in the task form (split screen) and it adds resource B for the remaining work. When I use the Resource Name column, remove A and select B, Project prompts to validate deletion of actual values. Selecting yes will then replace both actual and remaining work.

Can you provide some additional details on the behavior you experience? I’m not saying you’re wrong because I’ve seen other situations of different experiences. BTW: I’m using Project Pro for Office 365 so it is always current (and this behavior has always been the case.

Thanks…Larry