Quick Links

Reply To: Managing resources in a matrixed organization for future projects

Home Forums Discussion Managing resources in a matrixed organization for future projects Reply To: Managing resources in a matrixed organization for future projects

Earl Wojciechowski
Participant

Larry,
thanks for the quick response. I may not have clearly identified the challenge.

The environment is currently using Project 2013. No Project server in the environment. No plans to move to Project 2016 or a cloud environment.

When the plan is initially built the types of staff required are known but not the specific individuals, it identifies that the following total resources are required:
Software developers: 5 FTE
Data base administrators: 2 FTE
System Engineers: 3 FTE

Each task may have multiple different types of resources assigned from above.

when the project actually starts and individuals are starting to be assigned, need to know what type of resource they are (i.e. developers, database admin, system engineer) and need to maintain what the original staffing plan was. Additionally need to report on staffing shortages, ie planned for 5 software developers but only 2 are currently assigned.

Also would like to be able to present a staffing plan over time.

The above is for a single project, now need to do this for a portfolio of projects, how does this change the solution?

I am unclear as to how using the baseline feature is going to help manage the above scenarios.

I am not familiar with the resource plans, is this a feature within Project that requires Project Server or can it be used with