Quick Links

Reply To: Linking pieces of information in Project to an excel sheet + drill down

Home Forums Discussion Linking pieces of information in Project to an excel sheet + drill down Reply To: Linking pieces of information in Project to an excel sheet + drill down

Sylvie

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the tip on the WBS. It turns out to do exactly what I intended. However, I have two additional questions (one of them is a bit long but I need to explain in detail what I want to achieve):
1. is it possible that multiple users work on one file at the same time?
2. This is the tricky part. To guide your input, here’s the way I built my plan:
– Ultimate objective is first level using the Gant chart in WBS
– This objective is further broken down is sub-objectives
– sub objectives are in turn broken in pieces with the KPIs and then the drivers. Giving me 5 levels so far.

Now the drivers are linked to specific initiatives (levels 6). The Gant chart in WBS is linked to MS project.
My goal is to have now the initiatives broken down in tasks with their start and finish date and completion %… so that from updating the % complete on the tasks, I can have the overall completion rate for the initiative in MS project which will in turn update the Gant chart in WBS. Then I can have on the WBS views all information about an initiative and how completion rate impacts delivery of the KPI.

Based on the above, since initiatives are linked to various departments, and most are already outlined in a MS project Gant chart (but on a per department basis instead of per initiative basis; calling this the MSP master plan), I am wondering if there is a way for me to fetch information on each initiative in the MSP master plan and import into the WBS Gant chart.
Or the only way for me is to copy paste from the MSP master plan into the WBS master plan? But by doing so, it will “crowd” my WBS views, so I’d rather go fetch from MSP. This way also, updates will be made in the MSP master plan and this will update the rest.

Your guidance on achieving this will be priceless.

Thanks in advance for any input you have.