Quick Links

Reply To: How To — What is the best way to replace a resource?

Home Forums Discussion How To — What is the best way to replace a resource? Reply To: How To — What is the best way to replace a resource?

William McGuire

Hi,

Actual Work and Remaining Work can be moved for resources in a plan. I performed the following in Project Pro 2016 for several projects where I was migrating from one server to a new environment. In my particular case, resources were named ‘lastname; firstname’ and the new environment had them as ‘firstname lastname’.

1. Add-> the new resource(s) to the plan. Do not use the ‘Replace->’ option.
2. View ‘Resource Usage’ in Project Professional
3. Highlight the rows of tasks which you want to move from the current resource(s) and cut. Click ok to the dialog which says “This item has progress reported on it. Do you still want to delete it?”
4. Select the row which contains the resource you want this work and actual work to be reflected under and paste.
5. Perform QA. (e.g. One check – Click on the Project->Project Information->Statistics. They should match what they were in the original project file; etc.)
6. Done.

If you just need to ensure that the Actual Hours remain for the current resource assigned, then just use the Add Resources->(e.g. Build Team From Enterprise)->Replace option. This will keep the Actual for the currently assigned resource and put all remaining work under the new resource you chose during the ‘Replace->’ action.

Cheers,
Will