Quick Links

Reply To: Run Cost and Schedule in same MS Project Sheet

Home Forums Discussion Run Cost and Schedule in same MS Project Sheet Reply To: Run Cost and Schedule in same MS Project Sheet

Hi Larry!
Thanks for you’re reply. We are getting closer to my issue (-;
I’ll input in your text below how I go about the different areas you mention.

–Planning the resource: Setup the resource for the three months, but then contour the requirement using a usage view. Setup a resource or task usage view, monthly timephase columns (or to whatever detail you want to provide, and override the flat hourly requirements with your specific requirements. **make sure you baseline your project once this is complete**

[AL] I use the Task usage view for this and use weeks as the lowest level since the resources reports their time per week (note the resources do not report on the individual tasks which they of course should. But this would give me an even more detailed (complicated) schedule. And yes, yes I of know that they at least should be reporting on work package level 2 weeks sized.) Once the planning is done I baseline as you suggest and I can easily get the different variances I need (duration, cost, work). So I think that I have this covered.
Question: Contour the requirements? How do you mean Larry?

–Tracking: Enter actual hours per period and move remaining work to future periods. This is a common activity but feel free to ask if you are unfamiliar with what I’m saying. Future requirements: Entering actual hours and moving remaining hours will likely move remaining allocation further out or closer in depending on hour variations. You can go back to the usage view or one of many options to adjust future requirements to meet current estimated remaining effort/duration.

[AL] This works fine as well. I add actual on a weekly basis in the Task Usage view from received resource weekly time reports and it moves remaining planned time forward in time in the schedule. There is a setting for moving uncompleted work passed status date, but I do not use it. Maybe I should?
You can now compare actual’s and future estimates to the baseline to see how well your resources are meeting expectations. One other, simpler option, is to create two tasks…one full time developing the deliverable and the second for support. Hope this helps…
Will discussing with you and Daryl the problem becomes clearer. I’ll add some more explanation…
Starting the projects, I do a WBS (using WBS Schedule Pro) in which I should capture the scope and nothing but the scope (-;
The WBS contains all everything down to 2 weeks’ work packages (not lower) including LoE resources and resources with schedule dependent work packages. At this point it is still easy. It is also easy to connect to MS Project and get it in and also at this point setting it up and checking all dependencies according to best practices. The project starts and the entering of actuals begin and works fine for a couple of weeks. But then more detailed information is added under the work packages and it soon gets too much to cope with.

Believe me I try to keep the detail of activities down and let the resources use their own task lists below the work packages but still it grows.

So some questions to fellow PM’s and you Larry:
1. How much time do spend with your Project sheet?
2. Do they PM’s that manage to keep everything in one sheet, use a Schedule check tool? Is this standard to do, to cope?

I’ll answer Daryl in his reply.

// Anders