Quick Links

Reply To: Force Successor Task to next workday IF 'x' amount of time in wkdy -MSP Pro 2016

Home Forums Discussion Force Successor Task to next workday IF 'x' amount of time in wkdy -MSP Pro 2016 Reply To: Force Successor Task to next workday IF 'x' amount of time in wkdy -MSP Pro 2016

Larry ChristofaroLarry Christofaro
Participant

Courtney, from what I’m seeing maybe Project isn’t the right tool. I hear a lot of “doesn’t make sense” and “depends” that might warrant something else, like Excel. Project is great for planning tasks where you can enter most or all the specific dependencies, but it sounds like a lot of changes are real-time that depends on progress of the day, specific availability, team communication, and real-time decisions. Project wants to do the schedule for you, but if you can’t provide it what it needs upfront it can be more work to “work the tool” than to use a simpler tool to begin with. Don’t get me wrong I love Project, but only when it makes sense and you have the skill to get it to do what you want. Those answering this forum can probably make it work, but you are new to the tool and a complex solution doesn’t work either.

Remember the saying, if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Assess your problem, and then choose the tool that makes sense. Sorry to put a crimp in your plan, but I hope this makes sense. Good luck in whatever tool you use…