Quick Links

Reply To: Creating a Master Schedule with subprojects created in different MSP versions

Home Forums Discussion Creating a Master Schedule with subprojects created in different MSP versions Reply To: Creating a Master Schedule with subprojects created in different MSP versions

Jigs GatonJigs Gaton
  • Author
  • Forum Pro

@Emma, I was referring to custom fields /formulas / VBA / etc. written back in 2007 that may have worked then, but may now work now due to changes over the years. I doubt u would have any problems writing / inserting fresh ones.

I’ve had to do just what you propose in a classroom setting, where each student would have files produced from different versions of MSP (there must have been some 2007 files in the mix back in the day), and I would always have the latest up on the lectern.When we got to the lesson on Master Plans, I would solicit project files from the students and throw a master together from that (always fun to do). Occasionally something would not look right or I’d get an error, but I would just use another file and quickly move on, never bothering to troubleshoot during class. After class, it was often found that the broken file had come from 2010, or came from an infected Windows platform (at which point I would stop touching that machine and sanitize my hands).

BUT, since you have the files in a controlled environment, you could just open them and save them using 2016, making sure they work independently. If they work independently (everything calculates correctly), they should work as subs in a master plan. I would not export the data from a file unless it was clearly messed up and hopeless, and I certainly would not mash all the exports together into a new file, unless that was my last resort. Best of luck, Jigs