Quick Links

Reply To: “Move Incomplete Parts to Status Date” adds time constraint – sometimes

Home Forums Discussion “Move Incomplete Parts to Status Date” adds time constraint – sometimes Reply To: “Move Incomplete Parts to Status Date” adds time constraint – sometimes

Tom Boyle

Dan,

Mea culpa! Tom was wrong (still learning). Like Larry, I’ve never used the little module — “Move Task Forward – Incomplete Parts to Status Date” (a choice under the Move button on the Task ribbon). My focus on the similarly-named advanced options checkbox – though without referencing its correct name, “Move start of remaining parts before status date forward to status date” – was incorrect.

As Larry suggests, this “Move Task Forward” module is kind of a cross between the other two – a little closer to the Update Project action – but with some unique behavior. Like Update Project, it imposes a SNET constraint on a selected task with a scheduled start date before the Status Date but WITHOUT an actual start, and it delays the Resume date of an otherwise similar task WITH an actual start. Unlike Update Project, its imposition of the SNET will automatically over-write any other constraints on the selected task. (Note that neither of these work properly with resource leveling, so you’d need to clear any leveling before implementing the moves.)

To the actual issue of your schedule…. Larry’s outlined a few options that while perhaps useful for most users simply don’t work in a world that frowns on manually-scheduled tasks, external date constraints, and (worse) constraints on summary tasks. One of my rules is never use a date constraint in place of missing scope, which itself doesn’t have to be fully detailed to be present in the schedule. I’d ask myself why “I’m sure it’ll happen sometime in November,” then include a crude task that answers the question. You can flesh out the details of that task later. Good luck, tom