Quick Links

Reply To: New tasks being created with zero slack – why might that happen?

Home Forums Discussion New tasks being created with zero slack – why might that happen? Reply To: New tasks being created with zero slack – why might that happen?

Daryl DefflerDaryl Deffler

Dan
In order for Project to determine which tasks are on the critical path, all tasks need to have predecessor and successor tasks. Slack is the amount of time a task can be delayed without impacting the project end date. If a task has no predecessor/successor tasks, project can’t assess the delay impact and therefore can’t determine a slack value. So it becomes zero.
It may not really be critical path in terms of how you or I would assess it, but simply based project’s binary logic (<1 = critical_) it shows flagged as critical. I’ve seen projects with many dozens of unlinked tasks showing as critical. In addition, I’ve also seen many smaller task chains showing as critical simply because the task chain is missing a first task in chain predecessor and/or last task in chain successor.
Create a view to include any tasks with null predecessor and/or successor values and add the missing dependency to all identified tasks until all tasks (except first and last) have both. That should take care of the issue.

Hope that helps