Can I run Project Pro 2007 and Pro 2010 side by side?

Home Forums Discussion Forum Can I run Project Pro 2007 and Pro 2010 side by side?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      I have seen a couple discussions elsewhere that say “yes – however,…” so I am asking here.Here is my scenario, We have a current environment with Project Server 2007 and Project Pro 2007 clients running the latest Service Packs there.

I am in the process of standing up a Test environment running Project Server 2010.  As the above platform runs 4 instances ran by interested parties I will need to standup Project Server 2010 in compatibility mode and then switch to full 2010 capabilites once all clients are upgraded (about 150 clients).

Here is my challenge,  myself and a couple of others will be doing full testing forward and back in the Development environment with 2010 and 2007 clients but I also must maintain a working functionality of my Project Professional 2007 Client back to the Project Server 2007 production platform.

I envision at a minimum we will experience file/executable issues and will need to ensure we have the correct associations in place when opening versioned files.  ie when in the Production environment ensure .mpp is associated with my 2007 winproj.exe file and when in the testing mode know which winproj.exe is being opened for the specific test we want.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this and can provide some insight into other things we might need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

I have Project 2002/3/7/10 & 13 on my desktop.  I’ve experienced a couple of issues only….

1.  File association – clicking on an MPP plan – Windows will usually associate the last installed version to the mpp plan.

2.  Visual reports, running Project 2007/10 with Office 2013 requires you to copy excel.exe and visio.exe into the Office 2010/Office 2007 locations to get them to be seen by Project 2007/10

3. Some HTML windows fail to load and cause project to crash, eg The Project Guide in 2007 – I think this can be fixed with a repair on Project.

Thanks Ben,

I will keep the 2013 issues in the back of my mind as well.  While we don’t have 2013 on the radar today.  I anticipate that is the next step and sooner rather than later.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.