Connected Project Sites at the SharePoint level?

Home Forums Discussion Forum Connected Project Sites at the SharePoint level?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Nick P

My department has 6 month – 1 year long recurring projects. Each year they publish a new 2013 MS Project file with tasks. We are not creating any connected PWA sites because our SharePoint team wants to control the sites and permissions in the SharePoint Farm as opposed to PWA (sorry if my lingo is not correct). I am the PWA administrator but not a SharePoint admin.

I would really like to take advantage of some of the connected site page web parts and was wondering if anyone had any thought as to how to incorporate some of the added functionality (like a deliverables listing) of a PWA page onto a independent SharePoint page? The only webpart I see I can connect to PWA on SharePoint is a project timeline. Can a SharePoint page outside of PWA be connected to a project? Can this be done possibly with a Nintex workflow or some other product? Thanks for any assistance.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Yes you can connect a site in a different site collection as long as it is in the same Web Application (your SharePoint time will know what I’m talking about). I’m pretty sure you can set it up to create automatically but you’ll want to test it. If not you can always add it manually through the SharePoint Sites setting. You should also be able to synch to it and make it work. There are two features that you need to active on your SharePoint site (or template) to get it to work. I don’t have the exact names off the top of my head but they start with Project Server…:-). Good luck.

Nick P

Thanks Larry, you are always very helpful. It should be in the same web application. I’ll see if I can look over their shoulder to see if we can discover the settings. Good to hear it is possible. All my internet searching was pointing to how to do the reverse of what I was trying to do (make a PWA connected site out of a SharePoint task list)

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

You are very welcome. Let me know if anything doesn’t make sense or you need more details…and for sure update this post when you get it working. The details will help the community.

Nick P

Turns out our project server and SharePoint environments are in different web applications. We will probably hyperlink to project connected site pages.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Yea, unfortunate…and a bit of work to fix if you needed to. Good luck…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.