Create task dependencies (links) across projects

Home Forums Discussion Forum Create task dependencies (links) across projects

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings, My name is Tony and I’m new to MPUG but not new to MP. I’ve run across a situation that I’d like to ask if anyone else has as well. The following link provides a description of how to create task dependencies across projects: https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/create-task-dependencies-links-across-projects-HA010130865.aspx When I attempt to peform this as shown, the tasks do not link. I can create a temporary project, insert the projects with the tasks to be link and do it that way, but have been scratching my head why this doesn’t work for me. I’m running MP Pro 2010 with SP1 installed. If anyone has encountered this, please comment and if you’ve been able to determine the cause of not being able to. Thanks

I’m getting the same behavior you are getting.  I can create links using a new window but cannot by entering the project and task ID into the predecessor tab of the task information dialog.  I can however enter the predecessor projectid in the Predecessor column.  It sounds like an issue with 2010.

Hi Tony,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

I don’t have a definitive answer for you.  However, when working with multiple projects, Project is prone to such problems when the individual projects are in difernt folders.  Try moving all the files into a single folder.  If not, make sure the full path to the file is recorded for the link.  If you’re not sure, try linking again as you did in a tempory file that you know works, then examine the exact path that Priject used – copy the link and try again.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  https://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps – please let us know how you get on 🙂

Mike Glen
      MS Project MVP (97-11)
      See https://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Thanks Mike, I’ve been lurking for a while and decided to finally join.

Unfortunately, your suggestion did not work. Since there is another way to perform this, I can still achieve the desired result. It just would be nice if the reason it didn’t work could be identified. This issue popped up on the same day as another issue with SharePoint was identified so I’m scratching my head with that one too. The Company I’m working with on that issue has suggested reinstalling Project. We’ll see how if any progress is made after doing that.

But I appreciate the suggestion.

Felipe Schaerer

Hello,

I have been struggling with this same issue for several weeks using Project Pro 2010 and have finally found a solution.  I’m sorry to resurface such an old topic, but I’ve been unsuccessful trying to find an answer on Google.

To create dependencies (links) across different projects, Microsoft says you have to open both projects and write the predecessor’s <Project Name><Task #> in the ID column of the Predecessors tab of the Task Information window you wish to link.  Actually, what you  have to do is to write this same string (<Project Name><Task #>) on the Predecessors Column just there on the Tasks Pane.  Don’t double click the Task Row or else you’ll be taken to the Task Information window.  You don’t want to go there.  Just write it there on the Tasks Pane.  If you have other predecessors, just add the string the same way you add predecessors, that is putting a coma between tasks.

For example, in my Project1, if I want to put as predecessors tasks #22 and #33 of the same Project1 and a task #44 from Project2, I’ll just write:

22,33,Project244

In the PREDECESSORS COLUMN OF THE TASKS PANE. NOT THE PREDECESSORS TAB OF THE TASK INFORMATION WINDOW.  Sorry to use all caps, but this seems to be a bug in Project Pro 2010.

The string varies if you are using an Enterprise Project Management solution (EPM) such as Project Server. If a project is stored locally or on Project Server, the string to use is this:

Project stored locally on the PC: <Project Name><Task #> (example: Project1/1)

Project stored on Project Server: <><Project Name><Task #> (example: <>Project1/1)

This is just another reason why MS Project is such a not user-friendly piece of software. Why make things easy and intuitive when you can make them difficult and hard to understand? I once had the need to delete a calendar of a Project file. I had to Google that. That’s not user friendly at all.

I hope that users facing this issue find their way to this solution. Google has no other answers regarding this issue.

Felipe Schaerer

Please a moderator change the “/” for “” in the above explanation to avoid any confusion. Thanks.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi guys, I have read all of the traffic here with great interest as I have been teaching how to use task dependencies (links) across projects for about six years.  Lots of good comments above.
      The methodology we use with great success is to insert the Unique ID Predecessors column into the Gantt Entry View then simply add the predecessor detail directly into that column.  For example, type project11 then press enter.  The software automatically finds the complete file path for you.  If you have more than one predecessor type something like this, project11,project12 then press enter.  If you want to get fancy, 2,3,4,project11,project12SS+1w to use a group of internal and external predecessors, and incorporate leads or lags.   Multiple predecessors should be separated by commas with no spaces. 
      If you still have trouble try typing project11.mpp that has gotten us out of trouble a few times.
      Using the Unique ID Predecessors column will set you up with long term stability of your links should you do lots of editing during the life of your project.
      This works with 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 Standard and Professional.
      Also have had trouble where people use a forward slash / instead of a back slash .  I concur, better result if project sheets are in the same folder or at least the same file tree.

Hugo Cesar

Hi,

I tried all what you have mentioned but still I am having trouble linking tasks. There is something else I can try?

REgards

ThenBeckySays

Project 2010: Entering information in the task Information box doesn’t work, entering it in the predecessors column does.

Thando

I have tried the above suggested solutions on Project 13 with no luck. Is there no way of including pictures to the discription.

Indie17

You have to use the .mpp, and enter directly into the predecessors field on MS Project 10.

This is what I found for plans within the same directory.

I feel sure that Derek Patey’s solution above would also work.

This Office Doc neglects to mention this, and is therefore wrong.
      https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-task-dependencies-links-across-projects-c635f0eb-43e8-4a4c-a27b-0ff1fe516e9d
      Maybe there is a way to do it like they show, but they have left out a step or two if that’s the case.

To begin with, it’s “View, Window, Arrange All” with both plans open.
      Then, I don’t know how they expect you to use the Task/Information/Predecessors/ID field to enter this, but there must be a step left out, as what they show does not work.

Indie17

I meant that you have to type the “.mpp” after the plan name — into the Predecessors field itself. This works if the plans you are linking are in the same directory. You can also type the entire path name of a plan.

Julie Sheets

The method that I have used for years:

Create a new blank project. Set the start date of the new project to the earliest of the two projects. On the Project ribbon, click “Subproject” and select the first project to insert. Make sure the “link to project” box is checked. Repeat the steps with the second project. You now have a (temporary) master project with both subprojects inserted.

Expand to show all tasks. Click the Predecessor task in one project, press and hold the CTRL key and select the successor task in the second project. Release the CTRL key and click the Link tasks button. Repeat for other cross project dependencies.

Close the master (no reason to save) and save each inserted subproject when prompted.

Stan

Thank you Julie! PM team, this is how you do it!

Mary

Thanks Julie! I was looking for this how to and could find it in less than 5 minutes with your comment, great help, you made my day!

David Simon

I was under the impression the OLE was not supported in Project Online. If this is the case, then I cannot create a Master Schedule using sub-projects with task dependencies linked between them, in Project Online.
      Is this the case?
      Thanks,
      David

PNaidoo

Hi,

I need help urgently. I have added links to another project using Predecessors. However the issue is that in my project and the other project, an additional row is added. How do I get rid of this row when using predecessors to another project?

Anonymous
      Inactive

We are providing a lot of good services. With the search engine, you will benefit from using our services. and much more benefit from my company..Thanks
      ark griffin

Anonymous
      Inactive

Do you know how hard it is to find good SEO in this area? “I started an SEO business in this area to solve that problem.” elizabeth huberdeau

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.