Creating Backup Copies of .mpp Files Using a Macro

Home Forums Discussion Forum Creating Backup Copies of .mpp Files Using a Macro

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

MS Project 2013 Standard

My Internet connection is not exceptionally fast, so to speed up reading & writing and to reduce the potential of file corruption due to Internet disconnects, I store my .mpp files in a Folder on my laptop and upload Backup Copies to the corporate server for safekeeping.

I use a macro (shown below), that I added to the Quick Action Toolbar, to save Backup Copies of .mpp files.
      The macro saves the current .mpp file and creates a duplicate .mpp file (Backup Copy) with the date and time of file creation appended to the file name.

Example:
      Schedule_Project1.mpp
      Schedule_Project1_2021-03-19-13-41.mpp (Backup Copy .mpp File created on 2021-03-19 at 1:41PM)

I wish to modify the macro to write the Backup Copy directly to the corporate server location instead of the Folder on my laptop.
      However, after I modify the “FILESAVEAS” line of the macro to point to the server, MS Project does not seem to recognize the path to the corporate server location.
      (Getting a “Compile Error : Syntax Error”)

Anyone aware of any special technique to address this issue? Thanks, KMD
      ==========================================================================

Sub InSituBackup()

‘ MS Project version

Dim dotIdx As Integer
      Dim fileName As String
      fileName = ActiveProject.FullName
      dotIdx = InStrRev(fileName, “.”)
      If dotIdx > 0 Then
      Dim backupDisplayAlerts As Boolean

FileSaveAs Left(fileName, dotIdx – 1) & _
      Format(Date, “_yyyy-mm-dd”) & _
      Format(Time, “-hh-mm”) & _
      “.” & _
      Right(fileName, Len(fileName) – dotIdx)
      backupDisplayAlerts = DisplayAlerts
      DisplayAlerts = False
      FileSaveAs fileName
      DisplayAlerts = backupDisplayAlerts
      Else
      MsgBox “Unsaved file”, vbCritical
      End If

End Sub

Anonymous
      Inactive

The .mpp file is a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation. It’s one of the most common files used in presentations and it has the same format for all versions of Powerpoint. Visit this https://premieressaywriting.com/ site to get best ideas. The .mpp file format is used because it allows multiple slides to be stored in a single file, which makes it easy to back up and distribute large presentations.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.