Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed)

Home Forums Microsoft Project Discussion Forum Effective Resourcing Management in Ms Project 2013 – A Case Study (Help needed)

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #255312
      Kumar
      Guest

      In Below Scenario, i am trying to faced a situation which i could not solve ! Need assistance from you all !
      Step1:
      I have created a task “Paint the wall” and expecting this work to be completed in 24 hrs.
      TaskName: Paint the wall
      Work: 24 hrs
      Task Mode: Auto Schedule.
      Start Date: Jan 7, 2015 (wednesday)

      Step2:
      Here, i have added 3 resources
      Resource1 (with max unit = 50%)
      Resource2 (with max unit = 50%)
      Resource3 (with max unit = 25%)
      By this, i expect, Resource1 to work only 4 hrs per day. Resource2 to work only 4 hrs per day. Resource3 to work only 2 hrs per day.

      Step3:
      In Project Calendar, i have added non-working days for Resource 3 as Jan 8 and Jan 9.

      Step4:
      I assigned all 3 resources against the task “Paint the wall”, but i found that, resources efforts didn’t came as expected !
      i got resource1 with 9.6hrs, resource2 with 9.6hr, resource with 4.8hr and task end date as Jan 13th 2015 !!

      Expectation:
      On Jan 7th, 2015 – i expected all 3 resources work. Hence total hours is 8+8+2 = 18 hrs
      On Jan 8th, 2015 – Since resource3 cant work, Resource1 and Resoure2 share remaining work 6hrs
      Hence i was expecting this task to be completed by Jan 8th itself. precisely in 1.4 days.

      Assistance over this, would be great appreciated !!

      Kumar – vmkpmk@gmail.com

    • #262718
      Nico Janssen
      Member

      Hi Kumar

      Resource1 and Resource2 work 4 hours a day on January 7th because you assigned them to work at 50%.

      The total hours on January 7th is 4+4+2 as expected.

      Kind regards
      Nico Janssen

    • #268352
      Kumar
      Guest

      Nico

      thanks for the reply. Yes u r correct on Jan 7th case. But, still my expectation would be
      Expectation:
      On Jan 7th, 2015 – i expected all 3 resources work. Hence total hours is 4+4+2 = 10 hrs
      On Jan 8th, 2015 – Since resource3 cant work, Resource1 and Resoure2 will work 4+4 = 8 hrs
      On Jan 9th, 2015 – Since resource3 cant work, Resource1 and Resoure2 will work 3+3 = 6 hrs
      So i would expect the work to be showing as completed by Jan 9th. But it shows project will complete by Jan 13th only !

      I expect project should complete by Jan 9th itself, with resource 1 using 4+4+3 = 11 hrs, resources2 also using 11 hrs and resource 3 using 2 hours only ! But i am not getting this result.

      Please assist. I am using microsoft project 2013 software.

      Kumar

    • #277624
      Ivan
      Guest

      Kumar,

      Interesting case you got there.

      Apparently MSP divides the workload prior to assigning the schedule. In the resource form or resource usage, you’ll notice that both Resource 1 and 2 will work 9.6 hrs on this project, whereas resource 3 will work 4.8 hrs.
      Therefore R1 and R2 will work on the task on 7th, 8th and 9th (4+4+1.6 hrs) of January. R3 will work on 7th, 12th and 13th (2+2+0.8 hrs) of January. Which is indeed a strange logic.

      As a test I have added another identical task with the same resources on the same starting date. When auto scheduling this task, I’ve noticed MSP now assigns 8 hrs to each resource, even to R3. This next task has an even longer duration, because the 8 hrs workload for R3 take 4 days. This logic is different from the first task, which makes it even more confusing.

      As you cannot influence the scheduling logic (as far as I know) manual changes in the resource usage is your only option. Change the work for Resource 1 and 2 to 11 hrs and for resource 3 to 2 hrs.

      Regards
      Ivan

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.