Enterprise Custom Field/Resource Custom Field Question

Home Forums Discussion Forum Enterprise Custom Field/Resource Custom Field Question

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have to recreate a lookup table that seems to be corrupt, and then recreate an Enterprise Custom Field that uses this lookup table (since an Enterprise Custom Field won’t just let you edit it lookup table).  However, this Enterprise Custom field is one of the selections in my Manage UsersResource Custom Fields.

How do I add a new/recreated Enterprise Custom Field to the Manage UsersResource Custom Fields?

Thanks much,
      Laurel Doherty

Laurel, here’s an off the cuff process that you might consider. Off the cuff means that I don’t actually have the process written down from a job aid so test it first: 1. Open the resource pool in MS Project and copy the custom field column to an excel spreadsheet. This is used to update the resource pool with original entries. 2. If you can’t open the lookup table you can get the entries directly from this excel file by viewing only unique entries, otherwise open the lookup table and copy the entries to another excel sheet 3. Rename the current custom field and lookup table 4. Create a new lookup table and copy the entries from your excel sheet 5. Create a new custom field with the same attributes as your original 6. Open the resource pool again (same way, same sort sequence) and copy the entries back to the new resource custom field 7. Make sure it all works and delete the original lookup table and custom field. You will need to recreate any MS Project or PWA resource views that use this column, and any BI reports. “Off the cuff” that should be close. I’m not sure why or to what extent it is corrupted but this is a basic process that would create a new custom field and preserve previous entries. But then again, someone might have this written in a job aid. Good luck…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.