Extending project duration

Home Forums Discussion Forum Extending project duration

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there,

My current project duration is 2 years, but I need to extend it to 2,5 years keeping the same information. Is there a simple way to do it and have all the tasks and sub tasks extended proportionally?

Thanks a lot!

Sorry there is not a way to do what you need.  What you would need is a function that would add a percentage of work and duration to each task and that doesn’t exisit.   You should manually go through the project and extend the tasks that should be extended.

Thanks Ellen. That’s not the answer I was expecting, but if that’s the case I’ll have to do it manually.

You can easily do this with a little help from Excel. Following instructions are on Office 2007.

(1) Copy only the duration column to Excel. (Gantt chart view-> Right Click on the Duration column heading -> Copy Cell)

(2) Paste on an Excel sheet.

(3) Extract the number only. In Excel sheet select Data -> Text to Column -> Delimited -> Delimiter is space

(4) Apply you formula and get new durations

(5) Paste new durations back in MS Project.

Isnt it cool!

Thanks! That’s a great idea. It didn’t solve all my problems, but it did save me a lot of time a work. Actually, it is very cool!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.