file compare for mpp monthly status files created from a DELTEK Open Plan schedu

Home Forums Discussion Forum file compare for mpp monthly status files created from a DELTEK Open Plan schedu

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      John Breyer

I’m working as a scheduler on an Air Force project. The contractor to do the work uses Open Plan Professional, which I am working toward, but don’t have. The contractor is obligated to provide a statussed copy of the IMS monthly. OPP will extrude (?) an mpp file with current data, so the contractor is sending an mpp file of the status in the CDRL each month. I tried to do a file compare of two different month files. The compare runs, but the resulting file shows all of the tasks of of each file separately, as if no task from the first file is the same task in the second file and vice versa. I visually checked a number of the task names at the beginning and the end of each file and also visually compared a number of Unique ID’s. They look the same to me, so I would expect those apparently identical tasks to show as the same tasks in the comparison file.
      The only thing I can think of, is that OPP, when it creates an mpp, does something different from MS Project when it creates a file and the resulting status files are NOT identical task lists with some different data.
      What field(s) does the File Compare Report use to identify tasks from two versions as the same task?
      jlb

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

John, the project compare function actually looks at and compares based on the unique ID (GUID), and must be originated from the same project. It compares subsequent saves from the same original project, which doesn’t look like is happening above. Hope that helps…

Jigs Gaton

John, to test to see if it’s a problem with MS Project, you can always use http://www.projectplan365.com to test to see if you get a different result using the same .mpp data. That’s what I do when in doubt 🙂 Cheers, Jigs

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.