Having Multiple Time Zone values in MPP

Home Forums Discussion Forum Having Multiple Time Zone values in MPP

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Native Linum
      Keymaster
      We work across multiple time zones. When we create a project plan, we can only create the plan with a particular time zone. Can we create a project plan, which can show the multiple time zones?
      Example: My project plan has one task. I have created the plan in IST. I send this project plan to two other time zones – EST, CST. If EST user views the plan, can the user view the times as per EST and CST user views the plan as per CST.
      The example is my requirement.
      Thanks,
      Sushma
      Native Linum
      Keymaster
      Project is a bit different than Outlook as it is not time zone aware.  Consider these two scenarios for a solution.
      1. Everyone uses the same calendar – Zulu Time.  Work periods for resources are established in Zulu Time on resource calendars.
      Set the project calendar to 24 hours.
      Tasks are worked in the calendars assigned by their resource availability.
      2. Use a 24 hour schedule.  Purchase a small clock and set it on the wall to mark the time you want to use as the "project time zone".  Workers enter their time, etc. based on the clock on the wall.  Simple, and it works.
      3. Same as 1 and 2, but use the time zone where most of the resources exist, or where the PMO may exist.
      Does that help?
      Native Linum
      Keymaster
      Sushma,
      I don’t know if you got the answer you wanted, or if you still need an answer. It is possible to set up calculated date fields for multiple time zones that instantly adjust based on the time zone that you indicate is YOUR time zone. The scenario I believe you were describing would look like the following:
      If I select Eastern Standard time as my time zone, then Central will display showing 1 hour earlier, Mountain – 2 hours earlier, and Pacific – 3 hours earlier. If I select Mountain Standard time as MY time zone, then Eastern time displays the time as 2 hrs. later than mine, Central, 1 hr later, and Pacific time 1 hr earlier than my time. This could be done using a number field to specify your time zone to each task, and then using Start1 thru Star4 for the start date / time of each time zone start, and Finish1 thru Finish4 for the finish date for each time zone.
      You could have a separate view for each time zone that shows the different times for each time zone, or display all 4 time zones in each task – all dependent on the time Zone that you specifiy is YOUR time zone.
      I have an example MS Project file that does exactly this.
      If you could still use some help with this, send me an email at stormyranch@peoplepc.com Good luck. Gary Phillips, PMP
      Philippe

A very comprehensive answer using custom fields to populate a column is here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/dual-time-zone-display-for-tasks-in-project-2010/5b3a2fb6-887a-40f1-80eb-50b210e7c704?auth=1
      I found that it works very well.

Ian

I had this same issue and knocked out a quick post on it here. Requires a little bit of setup. As others have said, it requires that you plan your project in GMT/UTC/Zulu time, but gives you an easy view showing the local time that the task will start on.

https://dingovvarrior.wordpress.com/2019/09/01/microsoft-project-a-useful-tip

Prasana

Hi, Is it possible to add a vacation calendar based on country? I am creating a plan where resources are at multiple country and want to align the resources allocated to the specific country and respective vacation calendar? Thanks.

Daryl Deffler

Sushma
      While I can’t give you an answer to your question, my first question is does the MSP plan really need to be this accurate/specific? I don’t know the background specifics related to your question. But as a PM, I’d ask many questions to determine what’s driving the need for this level of scheduling in an effort to determine if this level of management is really required.

I’ve run projects with teams in different US and international time zones. When I dug deeper into time zone related scheduling needs, I concluded that this level of specificity really provided no benefit (in my cases) to the schedule and in reality made managing it more complicated than it really needed to be. Meaning, if a task is scheduled to start on Monday, does it really matter that it started on 8:00 AM Monday in EST or PST? Bottom line, it started on Monday as planned. If its supposed to finish on Tuesday, regardless of it finishing on Tuesday at 5:00 EST or 5:00 PST, is the task done by Wednesday morning?

So my advice would be to consider the driving reason for this need and ask if that need justifies the additional work that may be required to manage the plan.

I know this is not a specific answer, but I’ve run into many PMs who end up making their jobs way more complicated than they need to be trying to support needs(?) such as these.
      Hope this helps

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.