How to change project schedule without rescheduling tasks?

Home Forums Discussion Forum How to change project schedule without rescheduling tasks?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I have a schedule that is currently on the default 5-day per week schedule. But we need to be able to add weekend jobs, so I want to change the project schedule to 7-days per week. Every time I change it, all of the previously planned tasks get rescheduled. Is there a way to change some settings first that will keep the start/finish of all the existing tasks the same?

Mike

Sorry for posting this multiple times. I was getting an error about the name every time and didn’t think it was working.

bobc455
      Participant

Hey Mike –

Have you tried using a different calendar for the weekend jobs?

-Bob C.

Mike

I thought about that. But I’ve also been told before it is best practice to minimize the number of calendars. And if you’re going to work every day, to make the base calendar every day. However, there are definitely tasks that will only get done during the week, and others that will only get done on the weekend. So maybe that could work.

My main goal right now is to keep the schedule as simple as possible. I finally have the rest of my group using Project. I don’t want them getting scared of and going back to Excel.

I ended up coming up with a work around to copy out the previous durations and dates to excel. Change the project schedule, and then paste the durations back in. It was a huge pain, but it got it close enough.

bobc455
      Participant

Well I think there is a difference between minimizing the number of calendars and avoiding them altogether. They are there for a reason.

Anyhow I’m glad you got your situation fixed but I don’t think it’s necessary to shy away from multiple calendars when there is a valid reason for using them.

-Bob C.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.