Lab Assay: Work or Material Resource?

Home Forums Discussion Forum Lab Assay: Work or Material Resource?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sophie Hannah
      Keymaster

MS Project 2010 Server

I have a need to forecast samples for a variety of analytical assays.  I would like to create a resource for each assay to forecasat sample demand in each lab.  There are mulitiple projects pulling from the same lab resources, so I will levearge server to look at demand across projects.  There is no need to forecasat labor or assign an individual to the task – I am only interested in demand vs. capacity.  Assays are billed as cost per use & cost associated with the forecasts will also be used.

I like the capability to set capacity on work resources to put demand in perspective, which I understand is not possible with material resources.  Should these lab assays be created as material or work resources?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
      Dan

Sophie Hannah
      Keymaster

You have a choice, or you could use both resources.  One option is to assign both resources to each task.  That way the work resource will allow you to manage demand while the material resource can be used for costing.  The material resource will follow the work resource as the resource is leveled.  Another option is to enter the cost directly to each task (to emulate a cost per use).  Material resources have more flexibility relative to accuring the cost but either will give a cost per use/task.  Hope that helps.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.