Main summary task Status is not calculating correctly – Project 2016

Home Forums Discussion Forum Main summary task Status is not calculating correctly – Project 2016

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      deepa

I am using Project 2016. Main summary task Status is not displaying correctly. For example:
      Task 1 – Late
      Task 1.1 – Future task
      Task 1.1.1 – Completed
      1.1.2 – Future Task

Task 1, the parent task status is displaying late even thought none of the sub task are late. This only happens when I the level 3 for my tasks

Any help is really appreciated

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Check baseline finish. Late is based on baseline. Also check to see if the task is manually scheduled. Hope that helps…

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Deepa
      Summary tasks will not contain accurate “roll up” information if the summary task is set to manual scheduled. Change the summary task to Auto Scheduled and the values should then align.

deepa munaganur

All my tasks are auto scheduled. I am still getting the same issue. And my baseline finish is also same as Finish

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Deepa
      Do you have any resources assigned directly to the summary task?

deepa munaganur

No, I have not assigned any resources yet

deepa munaganur

No, I don’t have resources assigned to tasks yet

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Deepa;
      I did some digging in MS Project 2013 help (the version I’m running) and found this definition of how “Late” is identified.

“If the timephased cumulative percent complete does not reach midnight on the day before the status date, then the Status field contains Late.”
      So this is basically earned value and another way of saying that if the completed work is not equal to or greater than the planned completed work on the status date, then the task is behind.

Since you indicated you have no resources assigned, is it possible that your Status Date is a future date?

deepa munaganur

Thanks Daryl. But my status date is set to July 20th. And here are the task. Al my sub tasks are either completed or future tas. Summary still says it is late

Outline Number Task Mode Task Start Finish % Complete Status
      1.2.3 Auto Scheduled Wed 5/16/18 Fri 11/30/18 42% Late
      1.2.3.1 Auto Scheduled Wed 5/16/18 Wed 5/16/18 100% Complete
      1.2.3.2 Auto Scheduled Fri 8/31/18 Fri 8/31/18 0% Future Task
      1.2.3.3 Auto Scheduled Fri 8/31/18 Fri 8/31/18 0% Future Task
      1.2.3.4 Auto Scheduled Wed 5/16/18 Fri 11/30/18 44% On Schedule
      1.2.3.4.1 Auto Scheduled Wed 5/16/18 Wed 5/16/18 100% Complete
      1.2.3.4.2 Auto Scheduled Wed 5/16/18 Wed 5/16/18 100% Complete
      1.2.3.4.3 Auto Scheduled Wed 5/16/18 Wed 5/16/18 100% Complete
      1.2.3.4.4 Auto Scheduled Thu 7/12/18 Thu 7/12/18 100% Complete
      1.2.3.4.5 Auto Scheduled Fri 7/27/18 Fri 7/27/18 0% Future Task
      1.2.3.4.6 Auto Scheduled Fri 7/27/18 Fri 7/27/18 0% Future Task
      1.2.3.4.7 Auto Scheduled Fri 8/31/18 Fri 8/31/18 0% Future Task
      1.2.3.4.8 Auto Scheduled Fri 11/30/18 Fri 11/30/18 0% Future Task
      1.2.3.4.9 Auto Scheduled Fri 7/27/18 Fri 7/27/18 0% Future Task

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Deepa,
      I’m out of suggestions without having being able to dig into the schedule itself. I did do some research on the web and came up with a link that may help.
      https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_project-mso_winother-mso_2013_release/ms-project-pro-2013-status-of-summary-task-late/fa924282-6d41-4262-89db-f8cfe3bbe733

There also seems to be a lot of discussion threads related to the Late status being wrong.

Anyone else in MPUG land have a suggestion?

Michaela

Hi,

I’ve got a similar problem. The Finish date and Start date of every summary task is the same, no matter what is in the subtasks and the duration of the summary is always 0 (again no matter what the subtasks). What makes this really odd is that this doesn’t happen on the Baseline Start and Baseline Finish, which is behaving normally.

The date it was stuck at was the previous Status Date. I have set the Status to NA and recalculated. No joy.

All constraints are ASAP, all Task Modes are Auto Scheduled, there are no summary predecessors/successors and there is NA for Constraint Date throughout.

Screenshot of programme

I have rolled up all the summaries execpt the first one in the screenshot. Any help appreciated.

Scott Kibble

Hello,

I am having the same issue above. I have everything Auto Scheduled and been through all the other items listed in this note. Did anyone find a solution?

Copied message:
      “I’ve got a similar problem. The Finish date and Start date of every summary task is the same, no matter what is in the subtasks and the duration of the summary is always 0 (again no matter what the subtasks). What makes this really odd is that this doesn’t happen on the Baseline Start and Baseline Finish, which is behaving normally.

The date it was stuck at was the previous Status Date. I have set the Status to NA and recalculated. No joy.

All constraints are ASAP, all Task Modes are Auto Scheduled, there are no summary predecessors/successors and there is NA for Constraint Date throughout.”

Sherry

I’m having the same problem. Tried multiple things. Seems to be related to when I save as a PDF. This is a series problem. I had to go back to a version several weeks ago. Still same problem as I move forward.

Simon Jardine

Constantly Microsoft apply the 80 20 rule and use their clients as the guinea pigs. I solved all of the Project 2016 issues. I dumped it (loss $600US) and purchased Power Project. Finally moving forward and not wasting my time

Santanu

I had the same problem, I noticed that the % complete will update the summary task but % work complete won’t (all tasks in auto schedule mode). % work complete was not updating for the tasks where resources were not assigned, once I assigned the resources to the tasks the summary started to auto update.

pww

Set your project status date to the project start date and save the project. Then you can set the ‘status date back to the date you originally had. This should reset the calculations.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.