Master with Sub-projects. Secure R/W Access Across Sub-projects.

Home Forums Discussion Forum Master with Sub-projects. Secure R/W Access Across Sub-projects.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary A Johnson

Is it possible to secure all sub-project PMs from viewing each other’s projects, including even knowing that other sub-projects exist?
      If so, what would the required MSP architecture be?
      MSP Online preferred.

Very much appreciate your time spent on this.
      Thank you.
      Gary

Sai Prasad
      Participant

I suppose the PWA is configured with Project permission mode, if not click here to know how to change.

Project Managers, by default, are assigned to Project Manager security group. In this group, they can see all projects including their own in this instance.

To turn this off, click PWA Settings, Manage Group. Edit Project Managers group and remove My Organization from the Categories section.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Gary and Sai, I’m responding more with a question than a response as I do NOT now conclusively or tested this. My question is whether this would work with external links, given that those projects are opened in the background. The question is whether Project is smart enough to open the successor project/task even though the user does not have permission? If it can, does the PM know of the project (one of the original questions). At a minimum it might be something to test.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sai, Larry,

Thank you for responding.

Your comments and keywords led me to Michael Wharton’s article:
      Refining Resource Roles and Security Groups in Your PMO

His article implies MSP has the necessary organization roles and permissions capability.
      I still need a suggestion on the underlying MP architectural components, including if necessary, external links.
      With that I can create a test.

In summary, I’m seeking to create a Master project with two or more Sub-projects, and keep the PMs of the Sub-projects contained in only their work. For example, a PMO managing and doing consolidated reporting on multiple Sub-projects, whose PMs represent different subcontractors.

Thanks.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.