Microsoft Project Professional – Critical Path/Custom fields

Home Forums Discussion Forum Microsoft Project Professional – Critical Path/Custom fields

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Paloma Antas

Hi,

I’ve used “Custom Fields” to assign flags to my resources and “Bar Styles” to create a bar style for each task depending on the resources.The problem I’ve got now is that when I tick to show the critical tasks, the tasks with custom fields that are in the critical path don’t change the bar style.

How could I resolve this issue?

Thank you

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Hi Paloma, Bar styles go logically through the steps. Place the critical path step(s) after the conditional steps. Hope that helps…

Paloma Antas

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your response, but how do I do that?

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Paloma, you said you used Bar Styles so I assumed you were mostly there. If you haven’t then this might be a big step. On a Gantt Chart view, select Format / Format / Bar Styles. If this is new you might want to search for a good blog or article on how to use it. I believe there are some in MPUG. You don’t have the option to format based on a resource but you said you did so I passed it up. If you are doing it manually then we might not have a good solution for you. Sorry about that.

Paloma Antas

Larry, I know how to use Bar Styles, but I didn’t understand what you meant by “Place the critical path step(s) after the conditional steps”.
      What I did was create a formula for each flag on the task field in “Custom fields”, like this [Resource Names]=”LB Team 1″. And then I created a bar style for each of those flags.
      The issue is that the bar style for these flags seems to have priority to the bar style for the critical tasks.
      I’m sorry, it’s a bit difficult to explain 🙂

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Paloma, I too apologize for being quick on my answer. Knowing that you are using flags make sense. I took another look and thought of something new. Try using the Noncritical rule for Flag rows you entered and see if that work. Good luck…

Paloma Antas

Larry, thanks for the advice. I’ve added “Noncritical” to the “show for…tasks” as well as the flag and it works. But only when I want to see the critical path; if I choose not to see it, those activities change to standard colour rather than to the one I assigned to those tasks.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Hmm, in that case I’d have to play around with it. A couple of options to try. (1) have two entries for each flag, one for a critical path and one for not. (2) move the critical path row under the flag rows. My understanding is that the critical path row will override the flag color only when it is critical path. Hope that helps…

Paloma Antas

Option 2 works! Although when I deselect the critical tasks option and select it again I have to move the critical path row under the flag rows, but it doesn’t matter, good enough. Thank you so much for your help Larry

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.