MS Project 2016 – Line numbers keep disappearing

Home Forums Discussion Forum MS Project 2016 – Line numbers keep disappearing

• This topic has 39 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year, 9 months ago by Norman Christensen.
Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author

When I’m working in MS Project, the line number that I use for identifying predecessors keep disappearing. Sometimes, they will reappear when I hover over the task but always end up going away.

Is there some settings that has been set that I can change to keep them visible all the time?

Thanks.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Hey Norman. I haven’t seen this before. Some questions: Are you up to date on MS Project updates? Is this happening on one project or all projects? Is the same behavior happening with other users, other computers? It sounds like a software issue and maybe this might help. Good luck…

Norman Christensen

Thanks Larry,

I too have never seen this.
      We are updated and I have heard other discussing it as well.

I was hoping it was a setting that I had turned on.

Thanks.

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Norman;
      Can you be more specific on how/where this is occurring? Is it the Task ID # that is disappearing on task rows? Is it predecessor numbers that disappear in the Predecessor column fields? Is it predecessor lines that disappear in the Gantt chart? When you specify that you’re hovering over the task, are you hovering over the successor task or the predecessor task? Is it occurring only in one view such as a Gantt view, is it only in a Task Information window, or is it only in the Task Form in the bottom details?
      Sorry to ask so many questions. I don’t know that I can help, but with a lot more clarity around when this occurs, there may be others that have seen it and can respond.

Norm Christensen

Hi Daryl,

The task ID# is the one in question.
      It appears and if you use your keyboard to move up and down, that is when the numbers disappear.
      I checked to see if it happen on all the views and it is only one the Task Sheet view that it happens. Good call.

Daryl Deffler
      Participant

Norm
      Is it possible that the Task Sheet view has been corrupted? Try editing the Task Sheet view. Do you see any rows (view columns) that look goofy or have error messages in them? If so, try removing those error rows from the view and see if the problem disappears.
      It’s a long shot, but I’ve seen weird things happen in views in 2013. For example, in our environment, you could cut tasks, but you can’t paste them. It turned out that the view had been corrupted and once it was “adjusted”, everything worked again as expected. Like I said, it’s a shot in the dark! 🙂

Bob Laabs

Hi Norman. Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem, have edited the Task Sheet view by deleting the ID and later re-inserting it. But no luck…the problem persists in the Task Sheet view. However, the problem is not in the Gantt Chart view. So I have a work-around. Would be interested in the proper fix, though!

Hi Bob,

It ended up being a Task Sheet view issue only. I ended up creating a new task Sheet view and replacing the one that came with it.
      Never did figure out what the issue was with the out-of-box view.

Thanks.. Larry

Cliff McManus

I too have the same problem. I tried deleting the task sheet and recreating it, still have the problem after exiting and restarting MSP.

MSP Professional 64 bit version 1705 build 8201.2207. Corporate environment, Office updates say I am up to date.

This problem sometimes manifests itself with the ribbon bar being corrupted and overlay-ed with garbage so you cannot see the menu tabs or the menu itself. MSP usually crashes after this.

Any assistance would be greatly assisted

Cliff McManus

I too have the same problem. I tried deleting the task sheet and recreating it, still have the problem after exiting and restarting MSP.

MSP Professional 64 bit version 1705 build 8201.2207. Corporate environment, Office updates say I am up to date.

This problem sometimes manifests itself with the ribbon bar being corrupted and overlay-ed with garbage so you cannot see the menu tabs or the menu itself. MSP usually crashes after this.

Any assistance would be greatly assisted

Richard Anderson

I am also having the same issue. I’ve replaced the Task Sheet and that didn’t fix the issue. When I first open the project all the task id numbers are visible. If I click in any of the columns and then use the arrow keys to move up and down, the numbers stay visible. But if I use the mouse wheel to move up and down the tasks, the task id numbers disappear. I can then hover my mouse over the id number and it will appear and stay visible until I mouse wheel up or down.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
      Rick

The solution I ended up with was not to “fix” the problem but go around it. I never did get the out-of-box Task Sheet view to work so I just created my own custom one.

Kay Hanna

Hi,
      My co-worker just found that if you use the Gantt Sheet view – where the task sheet is split side by side with the Gantt chart, that for this view the Task ID numbers will stay up. All other views the numbers seem come and go at whim…

Daniel Stevens

Hi All,

I’ve been trying to resolve this issue for far too long and finally discovered a fix!

Go to the VIEW tab and click on TABLES > MORE TABLES… then select the table for the view of interest (ENTRY is the default table for the TASK SHEET view). Click on EDIT, and uncheck the box that says LOCK FIRST COLUMN.

This should resolve the issue. Let me know if it does or doesn’t work fo you and best of luck!

John

Daniel S. – Thanks very much! Your solution worked for me. This issue has been bothering me for years as I only use project in Task Sheet view.

Wade Litke

Thank you!

Abhishek Bagaria

Wow ! this worked for me as well. Super … you are a life saver!!

Marcelo Estenio

Great! Just worked for me, thank you very much.

Robin Harris

Never would have figured this one out. Thank you Daniel!

Hi Daniel,

We have success. Nice job and thank you. Norm

Linda Rasmussen

Thank you Daniel! This has been driving me nuts for awhile now. I have the team provide me updates referencing the project version number and line number. It was torture trying to update when the numbers kept disappearing.

Mughilan

I too had the same issue.
      Later figured out that filter was on, and hence the moment i made task completion to 100%, immediately the task disappeared. Funny me!

Jim Cengia

Daniel,
      Thank-you for your discovery. It is a big help.

Kim Payne

To get the line numbering back on any view:

Add an Indicators column on the left and make it larger than the indicator information. Hoover the curser to the left of the indicators column and when it changes to the + drag that to the right and the line numbers will reappear.

Hope that helps.

Paul Turkal

Thanks Daniel. The update to the ENTRY table resolved my issue as well.

Ira

Great fix! This had been bothering me and now it works perfectly.

Theresa Rice-Olowolafe

When I use Daniel’s solution, while yes the numbers stop disappearing, now I am unable to select and move a row.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

One option might be to add a different column as the first column of the table and re-select the Lock first column checkbox. Maybe the WBS if you aren’t using it or a blank task custom field. Then sort by ID as the second column.

I don’t have the problem you are all facing so I don’t have any other thoughts. Hope that helps…

Davinder Dhillon

Thanks Daniel. This was driving me nuts!

AnneMarie Kaul

Thank you so much Daniel. If it wasn’t for your comment on how to fix this issue, I would still be pulling my hair out.

Linda Rasmussen

Daniel’s solution does work for the disappearing (randomly appearing) ID numbers. Unfortunately with it set this way I am unable to grab and move a task within the plan. So for now I Lock the column, move tasks around as needed, then unlock it again to see my ID numbers.

Chuck Dressler

Wonderful! Just started at a new client and this “disappearing act” was driving me nuts.
      Thanks, Chuck

Bob Adams

Thanks Daniel,

This seems to have fixed it. Was making me CRAZY!

Thanks so much!
      Bob A

Louie

Holding thumbs this forum can offer some advice because I’m going NUTS! I’ve got a master schedule with five subprojects (i.e. five subproject files). When I open the master file it shows the external linked task names for a split second, and then it closes the rows. For example, my row numbers then jump from 1, 2, 3 to 5, 6 etc., indicating that row 4 contains a linked task to one of the subprojects.

This problem only started this morning. Previously I could open my master file and it would show all the external dependencies in a light grey font, as would each of the subproject files, irrespective of whether I opened them one by one or whether I opened them from within the master file.

I’m working on Microsoft Project 2016 Professional, version 1708 (build 8431.2153).

Chander

Thanks Daniel. This issue was driving me crazy.

lucas madeira
      Keymaster

This is a test comment.

Vinoth

Thank you so much for the help. It got resolved!

Bruce LaBarge

Genius. Thank you!

Abdulaziz

Thanks Daniel –
      For me, the ID column’s width was 0

SJHAR

DUDE! This is terrific. Finally a fix! This issue is still present in the very latest version of 2019.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.