MS Project 2016 Task Names Disappearing Randomly

Home Forums Discussion Forum MS Project 2016 Task Names Disappearing Randomly

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      David

Hello,
      I have a project file where task names keep disappearing. All of the other data/logic is intact. It seems to be random. I’ve tried clearing all filters. Changed views. The names do not appear in detail views like relationship diagram, network diagram, etc.
      It happens to both tasks and summary tasks items. And more names are lost over time.The file lives in ShareFile. Not in Project Online like most of our other schedules.
      Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
      David

Jigs Gaton

Hi David, have u seen that anomaly when editing the file on a local drive? I used to see strange things happen like that when editing files stored on dropbox, and my connection was slow.

David

We run hundreds of schedules. Mostly out of Project Online. Never has been an issue before. This team is using a local ShareFile setup due to bad internet on our site in Maui.
      I’m thinking it could be something with the sync to ShareFile.
      Thanks for the info.

Jigs Gaton

That’s what it was here in Nepal with shared dropbox files, when syncing was slow. Had problems with master/subprojects too 🙂

I also have had various areas of task names disappear on one of my project files. all other logic and task info is still there, the name just shows as blank. We store files on SharePoint, but I was using a copy on my computer hard drive. I can restore a previous version, but I’d like to know what I can do to prevent this from happening again in the future. currently, it’s happened to two people, each using different files/project schedules. Both were 2500+ task schedules. We use Project 2016, ethernet connections to our network, in the USA. Filters were all cleared too.

Maria Davis

I have had issues for some time now where the Predecessors disappear from the task box. I double click on a task and select the Predecessors tab and it’s blank. When I close the box, the Predecessors and Successors are listed in the task like. Sometimes it switches from SS to FS and creates havoc with the dates. This is a random issue. We use SP heavily, but I have my copies stored on My Documents as well as my desktop.

Any ideas…?

Jigs Gaton
      Participant

@Maria Davis, this could be a bug in your version of MSP. Have u checked to see if you have all the patches / updates installed? I would also try opening a copy of the file in http://www.projectplan365.com and see if get the same results. Best of luck!

nick riviera

I have had this same problem – using Project Standard 2016, local files only. It seems to happen mostly with collapsed sections of the plan, after I have viewed the overall plan with/without filters a few times. It’s super annoying, and seems totally unacceptable – how can a profession project management tool simply erase whole sections of task descriptions?

Jigs Gaton
      Participant

@nick riviera have u tried http://www.projectplan365.com? Cheaper, and opens all .mpp files. The problem referenced in this thread is most likely the MSP 2016 display bug, that I only fixed by upgrading to MSP 2019. Best, Jigs

Raizal

I also have the same issue with my Office 365. Task names randomly disappearing. Any ideas??

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.