MS Project 2016 – Updating Master projects containing sub=projects

Home Forums Discussion Forum MS Project 2016 – Updating Master projects containing sub=projects

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

We have a master project that contains several sub-project. When the projects were loaded, they were loaded as “Read-Only” so that the Program Manager could simply see the updates.

However, when you open the Master Project, the sub-project updates are not there. How do we get the Master Project to pull the updated information from the sub-projects?
      Thanks.

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Norman, can you elaborate your statement about loading projects “read-Only”? Does that mean that they are unlinked when they are loaded into the master? If that’s the case then absolutely, they will not be updated. Otherwise I could use some additional details. Thanks…

Hi Larry
      I go to Project/Sub-Project then find my project and select the mode “Read-Only” and leave the “Lin to Project” checked.
      This prevents the Program Manager from checking out all the sub-projects while they review the overall schedule.

However, as mentioned, the project update are not coming in.

Thanks…

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Interesting Norman. I’ve never used that read only feature before, but I did a quick test (created a master with one sub – read only, saved the master, opened / changed / and closed the sub, opened the master again…and the changes came through). So I’m kind of lost with what you have you test. Can you try a simple test similar to what I just did and see if you get the same results?

Thank you Larry for the feedback.
      It appears that if the sub-project is “minimized” that it does not update. If you expand the sub-project, it looks for it and updates it just fine. This is what I have told the Program Manger to do.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Jakob Ooms

Hi Norman,
      I have the same issue, with the subprojects not updating % work complete, remaining work etc until opening the subproject in the master project. Do you know if this is the only way to ‘refresh’ the %completes or if project has a mechanism to do it automatically?
      Thanks!

Regina OHare
      Participant

I am having a similar problem. I am using MS Project 2010. I have a project with multiple subprojects. Everything seems to be working great, but the % completes are not registering on the highest level. I wish I could attach a screen shot.
      It looks something like this:
      Project % Complete
      Project 1 #################################
      Subproject 1 85%
      Subproject 2 75%
      Subproject 3 52%
      Project 2 #################################
      Subproject 1 12%
      Subproject 2 0%
      Subproject 3 5%

Earl Fischer

Hello,

I have a master project that contains several sub-project. When the sub projects were linked the tasks and start/finish dates were correct. When a PM update their projects (sub projects) the master does not update with their changes. If we open the sub project directly the updates are there. How can we get the master project to pull in the new updates?
      Thanks

MS Project 2016 with data on OneDrive

Ilya Agafonov

Hello everyone!
      I can’t figure out, how to solve very similar problem.
      I have a master project with huge number of subprojects in it. All of them are linked and read only. Many different people change those subprojects all the time. And the big boss just looks in master project and wants to see all updates. Problem is: he doesn’t want reopen master project every time.
      Please help me to update information from subprojects without reopening master project (with VBA).

Mark

5 years and no solution to this one. Very disappointing:(

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.