MS Project On-prem vs. cloud

Home Forums Discussion Forum MS Project On-prem vs. cloud

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anita Vollmer

My firm is considering MS Project and was wondering what / if any differences there are between on-prem and cloud. A few of us are familiar with Project but not cloud based and we will be moving to the cloud early next year.

Bruce Carter III
      Participant

Hi Anita,

Have a look at this link on the Microsoft Website. The is the comparison between project online and project web
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/project-for-the-web-and-project-online-6569170c-5c8e-474e-a7f0-642872f62f8a

Project Online would be the equivalent of a local deployment of project server. In general online is constantly updated and hosted by Microsoft where a Local Project Server deployment is host in your data center and updated are deployed by your administrator. My understanding is Project Server/ Project Online are consider feature complete.

Project Web is based on the Microsoft Dynamics and Power app platform and is the future however it is not currently feature complete to the level of Project Server / Online. Meaning Project Server / Online is still more feature rich than project web currently. I haven’t seen any final decision on any end of life and the consultants I have talk with are anticipate beyond 2025 because no formal migration path has been identified. Look at the video and watch the comparison and see what works for your organization. I hope this points you in a good direction, I am currently using project online and web as a part of my Project P3 subscription and looking at PPM solutions using Microsoft Dynamic/Power BI/Power App solutions from a couple of vendors.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Regards,
      Bruce Carter

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.