New tasks starting at 1pm instead of 8am

Home Forums Discussion Forum New tasks starting at 1pm instead of 8am

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve noticed that when I create a new project schedule, the start date for each task is 1pm.  This is despite the Start Date being weeks into the future.  My expectation is that Project would start these at 8am instead (next available working time).  Notice in the pic below I have change the display format to show the hours/minutes.  While the project start date is Oct 1, is the project start time somehow 1pm?  Unless I specify the start ‘time’ for the project, where is this controlled?

Hi Kevin,

What version of MS Project are you using?

A couple of things to check.  I am using MSOP 2010 Professional.  From this version go into the File tab, selection Options and select the schedule tab.  This is where the default start time and default end times are defined.  You could also have a calendar set with different start and end times.  This is set through the project tab and then the change working time.  Please note that if you have a resource assigned that they have a calendar defined for them as well.  One last thought is that option in MSOP 2010 that also allows you to assign a calendar to a task.  This would show up in the indicator column.

Cheryl

Cheryl, Thanks. I’m using Project 2010 Pro. I don’t believe this to be a calendar issue as this was “all” defaults. I simply opened Project, set the start date using the Backstage, and entered the tasks as shown. I’m aware of the calendars and their effect on tasks, resources, etc. The default start and finish times in the Options screen are 08:00am and 05:00pm respectively. No resources exist on this project. Just the tasks, their durations and the project start date. On a different note, I noticed that the Backstage allows me to specify the start date and it shows ONLY the date yet when I use the Project Information dialog on the Project tab, it has the time. Is one “preferred” over the other as a result of these differences? hmmmm…… I always thought I could use either one. I’m beginning to think I should use the Project Information dialog from now on, given this.

Kevin,

This is a stab in the dark, but what time zone are you in? Did you get your software or default template from someone in another time zone? I don’t know specifically how Project would pick this up but it looks suspiciously familiar to me. I am in the UK, and see a five hour difference in all sorts of ways because HQ is on the East Coast.

Good luck!

Kevin,

I found I had the same problem.  I started a new project schedule and then went and changed from a standard 8h/d 5d/w schedule to a 10h/d 4/d week schedule.  I noticed that no matter what I did as far as changing the “Change working times” to changing the standard hours and days on the options page, it still would not let my resources work 10 hrs that first day.  It would always start at 8am, instead of 6am.

I tried something, and it actually fixed the problem….I after changing all the schedule and working hours like I should, I found that if I went in and changed the project start date, to a different date, my resources worked 10 on the first day like they should and every day after like they were scheduled.  I then went and changed the start date back to the date I originally wanted and it fixed the problem; scheduled 10hrs work starting from day 1.

Seems like it must just be a glitch in the software.  Give it a try.  AFTER, (doesn’t make a difference if you do before), you change the work hours and work days, and work week, then go and change your start date to a different date, (doesn’t matter what day), then change it back.  worked for me anyway…

Baher Shqairat

This post has saved my day.. great trick.. thank you guys.

Jonathan

Hi kevin,

It’s been a long time but i had the exact same problem than you just a few days ago. I did exactly what you did and it fixed my problem too. In fact, i think it’s not a software problem but just how it works… In fact, from what i understand, MS Project doesn’t want to let you start a task “before” the project start…(before or in 100% of case : equal)

Jo

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.