PM Assignments

Home Forums Discussion Forum PM Assignments

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom Herrington
      Participant

In the PPM process, when do you assign PM’s to projects?

Jack Fox

If I understand your question, I have generally not had PM’s in the schedule because they are LOE (level of effort) and their progress is just a passage of time. Their costs are tracked outside of the schedule. There are at least two schools of thought on this though.

Tom Herrington
      Participant

My question was centered around the appointment of a PM to a project, not necessarily the assignment as a resource.  Although this is important for resource capacity and planning as it is for all resources.

Thanks,

Tom

Bill Knudsen
      Participant

In my clients I have experienced two approaches in how a project manager is assigned:

1. When there is a formal project selection process is used a PM is assigned to guide the project through the selection process – e,g, prepare high level estimates, cost/benefits analysis, prepare capital appropriation requests, etc, However, this PM may not be the same PM that is responsible for the project’s delivery should it make it into the portfolio. I have seen this approach in larger clients who select the majority of high visibility or high cost projects as part of the annual budgeting process which typically is earlier than project startup. Typically PMs used for this purpose have skills particular to the selection process, internal budgetary processes and are adapt in the political landscape of the organization. The delivery project manager is assigned closer to the project startup.

2. In smaller organizations regardless if there is a formal project selection process the PM is assigned at the start of the project selection process (or startup if there is no formal selection process). The PM is accountable from the ‘cradle to the grave’.

Clearly there are pluses and minuses to both approaches. I suspect there is no correct approach and is ultimately based on the organization’s culture.

Tom Herrington
      Participant

Bill,

Thanks for sharing the scenarios.  The first scenario would seem to lend itself to the PM actually being the portfolio manager rather than a project manager.  I believe this is the direction was are heading.  The SME will be a new role that we are calling a Business Representative/Analyst from IT.  This role will provide the business case for the proposed projects.  We plan to move to a quarterly portfolio selection process to accommodate the rapid pace of change that our current annual process fails to keep up with.

Tom

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.