Portfolio view from MS Project 2010

Home Forums Discussion Forum Portfolio view from MS Project 2010

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Thomas
      Keymaster

Joined medical research group within a university to help organize research grants/projects. Group has little to no PM methodology but I do have available MS Project 2010. With only some experience with tool, is it possible to show all (4) grants/projects in one view? Is it best to create project template for overview and add each project as subprojects? Also, resouces are various %’s on each grant…do I build resouce table first? Any advice would be appreciated!

Robert Thomas
      Keymaster

Greg,

Multiple projects, shared resource pools, and combined portfolio views are certainly possible with MS Project.  The problem is that this gets deep rather quickly and you said you only have some” knowledge of MS Project.  I might suggest a custom field that indicates the grant name/number of each task and combining them all into one project.

Just a thought.  Hope that helps…

Robert Thomas
      Keymaster

The simple option may suffice…  Insert the sub projects into a single view…

Here’s a MS link: office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/insert-subprojects-into-a-master-project-HP045305590.aspx

Good luck

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.