Problem with MS Project 2010

Home Forums Discussion Forum Problem with MS Project 2010

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

We have two different versions of MS Project on the Project, version 2007 and version 2010. Resource using v2010, saves the file in v2007 for others to review and update. But when the updated version is opened in v2010, duplicate rows and blank rows pop up on the file. Has anyone else had this sort of issue? Also, would using different versions cause any data loss from the plan?

Thanks much in advance for any inputs.

You have found the reason why it is best to pick one version and stick to it.  You will also see a difference in the calculation for assignments between 2007 v 2010.  At some point the file will become very corrupt and you will not be able to open it. what you are seeing is the problems caused by coverting down and then re-converting up.

What you are doing will not work and it will only get worst.  Sorry but you have to be using the same level.

Hi Chetan —

I concur with Ellen. Unfortunately, the compatibility between the 2007 and 2010 versions of Microsoft Project is not flawless. I have seen issues where a 2007 file was opened in 2010 and tasks disappeared… even though one might hope that Microsoft Project 2010 wouldn’t have a problem opening 2007 files.

If you continue passing project files back and forth between versions, then your issues may start to compound until the file is completely unreadable.

To remove the data corruption, you can try opening the file with Microsoft Project (in whichever version shows the most accurate schedule), saving it in XML format, then opening the XML file and saving it back into MPP format. This is an old trick that sometimes works on corrupted project schedules.

Good luck!

— tz

Good tip, Tony, on how to fix corrupt files.  It sounds like it is worth a try.  Sorry, Chetan – I wish we had better news for you.  If it helps you are not the only one who has tried this – good try. Sometimes what sounds good on paper just doesn’t work.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.