Project 2010 beta certification exam

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project 2010 beta certification exam

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sien Decabooter
      Keymaster
      Congrats to my fellow PMs who passed the beta exam.
      Perhaps it will be worth sharing how we prepared for the exam.  Here is what I did:
      1. I was using Project 2010 since its release, although not in an extensive manner
      2. I attended as many of the MPUG certification and other webinars
      3. I worked through the book Project 2010 Project Management – Real World Skills for Certification and Beyond (Exam 77-178) by Robert Happy
      4. I worked through an online course Project 2010 Essential Training by Bonnie Biafore, on the Lynda.com website.
      Sien Decabooter
      Keymaster
      Good idea. This may be helpful for those who are getting prepared to take the live exam. To start with I spent about 100 hours getting ready for the exam. I’ve over 26 years of scheduling experience and started using Project when it was first release (before Project 98) which didn’t hurt.
      1. Started using Project 2010 late September but not extensively since my current client is using MSP 2003.
      2. I too attended some of the MPUG webinars for Project 2010 and certification.
      3. I worked through the Microsoft Project 2010 Ultimate Study Guide: Foundation by Dale Howard & Gary Chefetz of MS Project Experts. Didn’t skip a page from cover to cover. I went back through more than once any section that seemed difficult.
      4. I did a number of the Microsoft learning courses including the Introduction to the New Microsoft Office Fluent User Interface. MS has a Learning Plan for Managing Projects by Using Microsoft Project 2010 (Exam 70-178) which I found a few days prior to my exam date.
      5. I surfed through the numerous blogs in the many sites to get as many hints, tips and suggestions that I could

I have found that there are a lot of knowledgable people who are very generous with their time and openly share their knowledge with the rest of us. Many thanks to all of them.

Gene

Sien Decabooter
      Keymaster
      Yes, congrats to those who passed the beta!
      I didn’t have much time to study – probably spent about 25 hours max.  But I have 14 years experience using MS Project and found 2010 to be a great improvement over all past versions.  It was very intuitive to me, therefore the test to me was rather easy.  We are not using 2010 in my organization so I had to find out as much as I could on my own.
      1) I attended all the MPUG WebnLearns that I could.
      2) I  worked through the Microsoft Project 2010 Ultimate Study Guide: Foundation by Dale Howard & Gary Chefetz of MS Project Experts. More important, I first went through from start to end their similar book that outlines only what’s new in Project 2010.  I looked at the former book only 3 days before the exam just to brush up on things I already knew about MS Project from previous versions.
      3) I had a copy of MS Project 2010 I could use to review the new items.  I would strongly recommend downloading at least an eval copy.  Hands-on in conjunction with the books is the way to go, at least for me.
      4) If you have never taken one of the cert exams before, it will take you some time to study.   Things you take for granted that you can just look up on any given day at work you need to really know how to do them from memory.  For instance differences between task types, duration vs work vs units, and baselining vs interim plans just to name a few.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.