Project 2010 View of Predecessors and Successors

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project 2010 View of Predecessors and Successors

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Smith
      Participant

Hi All,

I am new to the MPUG Forum but hope I can get the assistance I need.  I ‘m using Project 2010 Pro (desk top) and need to see my driving predecessors and driven successors when examing a task. I am not refering to task inspect which does not provide the views on the predecessors / successors columns.  I saw asomeone else using these tools to analyze their schedule but I didn’t get an opportunity to asked them to explain how to me.  I appreciate all input.

Thanks, Paul

Ismet Kocaman

That feature (i.e., Task Path) is only available in Project 2013. See the related article here: https://office.microsoft.com/en-001/project-help/highlight-how-tasks-link-to-other-tasks-HA102891930.aspx

You can download a trial and start using Task Path feature.

Regards,

Ismet Kocaman | ikocaman.pm@gmail.com

Joseph Wharton
      Participant

Paul:

Not sure if references to specific companies are allowed on this thread, but Aztech International (at goaztech.com) has a free utility (Run!23) which is a demo of their extended offerings, and it contains a tool/button: TRACE, which will generate either all Successors pushed or all Predecessors pushing any task.  I use it every day.

Joe

Ismet Kocaman

Joe, They do not respond to registration for the free tool. — Ismet

James

Hi Paul,
      While in Gantt chart view, you can choose Details and then show the Task form at the bottom. In the task form you can choose(right click) to show predecessors and successors. As you scroll through the tasks in the Gantt chart, the corresponding predecessor and successor tasks shows up in the Task form.

Not sure if this is what you want, but it helps to review the schedule for me.

Ken VanderJagt

In Project 2010 the Task Inspector shows only the driving predecessor.

Christy Max

Microsoft Office Project Server is a project management server solution made by Microsoft. It uses Microsoft SharePoint as its foundation, and supports interface from either Microsoft Project as a client application or by web browser connecting to its Project Web App (PWA) component.
      70-647 Study Material
      70-662 Test Questions

Glenda Collins

Thank you exactly what I was looking to see the successor detail for mapping

Paul Staines

Hi Team,
      in the bottom view, showing details,can we also get to see the dates of the predecessors and successors as well?
      Paul

Timothy Jones
      Participant

Paul,
      You can see the task information (including dates) for the predecessors and successors when you double click on them in the predecessors & successors detail view. I prefer to use the trace macro, which sets flag 5 to yes for predecessors/successors. Then sort by start or finish and you can see the flow of activities with dates/durations, etc. Hope that helps!
      Tim

Tom Boyle

There’s a set of free macros – called QuickTrace – at one of my blog entries. That tool sets and applies a filter for predecessors or successors of any selected task, including “driving” or not. It works pretty well, though you have to be comfortable with macros to install and customize it.

Paul’s request is kind of standard for anyone needing to efficiently evaluate logical relationships in a schedule. It’s available as a minor feature of the logic analyzer add-in that I use. I wrote about it in another entry.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Let’s read through all of the symptoms of this error. An on-screen pop-up error message is the main symptom of Quickbooks error 15227. When the error occurs in the system, the active program crashes. The system often crashes when an error occurs. Windows works slowly or does not respond to the keyboard and mouse inputs error makes the security app invisible or missing. The taskbar is also not recognized if the error is found.

Sai Prasad
      Participant

Paul – I agree with James on using Task Form. If you need something graphical, you can use Relationship diagram. Once you split the view, change the Details from Task Form to Relationship diagram (using More views). The relationship diagram will display the selected task in the middle with its immediate predecessor(s) and successor(s) to its left and right as boxes.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.