Project ID … Seems to appeared

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project ID … Seems to appeared

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      John Murphy

I am seeing PROJECT ID in my WORK view. I could swear that I looked for this field when we migrated to PP/PWA, but I could not find it. At that time, I searched the internet and found that PWA did not create unique IDs for projects.

The Project ID field I see is only for some projects … seemingly for new ones. Is the Project ID field new? Is it created for every project?

Thanks
      John

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

John, the ability to create a unique Project ID is a brand new feature in Project Online (I’m assuming this is what you are referring to). This link provides some information on it: https://blogs.office.com/2015/12/03/3-new-enhancements-to-project-online/
      Hope that helps…

John Murphy

Larry,

As usual you know the answer.

I have to look into this further … users will be happy

Thanks again,
      John

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

You’re welcome. I hope my streak continues…

John Murphy

Larry,

Time to challenge you again ! 🙂 I have investigated the PROJECT ID.

A Project ID automatically created when a project is created. As shown below, old projects are not retroactively assigned an ID. However, you can go in assign one.

Each Enterprise Project Type has its own counter which can be defined to include a number plus prefixes and post-fixes. Currently, we have two project types … Enterprise Project Type (the default) and Web Based Training.

Question 1 … Can my two project types use the same counter definition … say starting at 1, and then will PWA be smart enough to not create duplicate IDs across the project types?

Question 2 … I can assign an ID to projects created before this enhancement. I have not tried to enter an ID already in use. Is Project ID defined as requiring UNIQUE entries?

Thanks
      John

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

I haven’t played with the Project ID feature but here is some additional information that might help: https://spandps.com/2015/12/31/projectonline-auto-generated-unique-project-id-office365-msproject-pmo-pmot/
      Good luck…

John Murphy

Thanks sir!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.