Project Online vs Project Lite Subscriptions

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project Online vs Project Lite Subscriptions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      John Murphy

One of my users could not see projects in PWA. He kept getting the “Sorry, you do not have a license to use Project Web App” error message whenever he tried to log into PWA. Yet, he had subscriptions for Project Pro for Office 365 and Project Lite. It was not until he was given a subscription for Project Online that he finally could see projects.

Why is this? What is the difference between the Project Online and Project Lite subscriptions? Does every user need both?

Thanks,
      John

John Murphy

I think I understand now based on a great post by Collin Quiring at https://www.mpug.com/articles/project-2013-offerings-comparison-requirements/.

If someone only needs to post tasks updates and enter time, then they just need Project Lite.

If someone needs to create/update projects, publish them to PWA, and view other PWA content, then that person needs Project Pro and Project Online, but not Project Lite.

AM I CORRECT?

Thanks
      John

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Yes you are correct. Early on this was not enforced by the application but it looks like they have made the solution smarter. And yes, Collin’s article should give you all that you need.

John Murphy

Thank you

John Murphy

Larry,

It seems that you would give users the following licenses …
      Exec … just Project Online
      Resource Mgr … either Project Online or Project Pro 365 and Project Lite
      Project Mgr … Project Pro 365 and Project Lite
      Team Member … Project Lite

I have PMs with Project Pro 365 and Project Lite. They can create projects on either PP or PWA, publish them to PWA, and mmodify them on PP or PWA. It does not seem that these users are missing any PWA capabilities by not having Project Online.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
      John

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

John, does this mean that your original issue is answered? In my first response I noted that the license (online vs like) does not limit the capability of the software. It is only a license restriction. Another assumption is that Microsoft will eventually close that loophole, which is what appeared like was happening in your first question. Your second response is telling me that they didn’t close that loophole.

For compliance, a Project Manager should be assigned with a Project Online license.

John Murphy

Larry,

Yes the original issue was resolved. Sorry for not pointing that out.
      I guess the loophole is not closed. Based on your comment, a project manager with PP 365 and Project Lite should only be able to create, publish, and modify projects from PP. On PWA they should only be able to update tasks, risks, issues, and enter time. I am not seeing that.

Thanks as always,
      John

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

Actually, not quite. Combining Project Pro for O365 and Project Lite won’t work as expected. There are many articles online describing the capabilities and limitations for a Project Lite license. Microsoft’s site includes this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/project-online-service-description.aspx
      In it you can find information on Project Lite. I hope this helps…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.