Project Oversight/Hammock Task on Project Onlie

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project Oversight/Hammock Task on Project Onlie

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      David Simon

Hello,
      I am using Project Pro 2013 and Project Online.
      I was planning on using a Hammock Task in my schedule for Project Oversight. Attach my Project Manager to it as a resource. That way when the schedule finish date slipped or was extended. My Project Oversight task would automatically change. And I would see the change reflected in the resource center on Project Online for the Project Manager.

After some research and testing. I discovered OLE is not supported for PWA. We do not use time cards, and I wanted to find a way to use the tools in the resource center for resource and demand management for our Project Managers.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      -David

Larry Christofaro
      Participant

David, I have a couple of questions for you. First, if you are using Microsoft Project then you can do a hammock task, and if you are using Resource Center views for resource demand management then it shouldn’t be a problem. Second, I’m not sure what OLE (assuming you are referring to Object Linking and Embedding) becomes a problem. Again, my assumption is that as long as it is updated in the Project client then it isn’t a problem in PWA.

The short version I guess is to ask for more specifics on the particular issue and what you are trying to get around. Hammock tasks are not used that often so I may have never run across that issue before. Thanks…

David Simon

Hi Larry,
      Thank you for responding. The hammock task seems to stop working after I publish the project back to the PWA. Even though I do not edit the file in PWA.
      What I am trying to do is track managers assigned to a project. None of their work is included in the projects they manage. But I want to be able to track the various teams and in order to do resource and demand management at the portfolio level.
      This is why I tried to use a hammock task linked to the start and finish dates of the project. And then assign them to that task as resources. This would automatically update as the project finish dates changed.

thanks again,
      David

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.