Project Server 2007 Resource % allocated to a Task Changing

Home Forums Discussion Forum Project Server 2007 Resource % allocated to a Task Changing

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Dennis Smith
      Keymaster

I am using project server 2007.  i have a project that runs the entire length of our fiscal calendar year.  i am attempting to keep the 20 people that are assigned to these tasks at 5% of their time so there capacity shows a few hours each month.  We also use task time sheets to update the actual hours on the projects.  i have tried Fixing the unit, fixing the duration, and fixing the work.  whenever i accept the actual hours submited for the project and publish the project the % allocated will change. is this a bug or does anyone know what I can do differently to hold the % allocated at 5%?

Dennis Smith
      Keymaster
      Richard,
      I’m assuming that you are looking at a Resource Usage view and viewing the Assignment Units column.  If not please provide additional information.
      The Assignment Units field actually shows peak units, which can be misleading but that’s what is displayed.  So, if a user enters 2 hours on a single day the Assignment units will equate to 25%.  Project 2010 changes this and accurately provides both Peak (highest units across the assignment timeframe) and Assignment Units (Units originally assigned to the resource).
      Hope that helps,
      Larry Christofaro
      Dennis Smith
      Keymaster

Actually i am using the "task entry view" where i can see a gantt chart on the top half and the “Task Form” on the bottom have.  The Task form is the view where i shows the Units and it changes which changes the estimated hours in each month.

Dennis Smith
      Keymaster
      Richard,
      You may have figured this out but it’s the same answer as described below.  The Units column on the task form represents Assignment Units.
      Larry Christofaro
      Dennis Smith
      Keymaster
      so then project uses this new % to allocate the remaining time across the rest of the duration of the project? is this correct?
      Dennis Smith
      Keymaster
      Richard,
      Great question, and the short answer is no.  For examples:  In 2007, work allocation would continue based on the allocation at the assignment finish date when extending the task duration.  In 2010, work allocation would continue based on the Assignment Units.  Entering time would simply move the finish date in or out without affecting work allocation.  Additional information can also be found in the following technet article: https://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx
      Hope this all helps.  Great topic…
      Larry Christofaro
      Dennis Smith
      Keymaster
      But that is not what i am seeing happen in 2007.  when actual hours are entered on the MY TASKS screen, Accepted, and then the project is published the units is changing.  Then Project is using this new percentage in the units field to distribute the remaining hours into the future instead of using the original percentage I input on the task form for that resource.  i have reports showing future remaining work and after the percent has changed you can see the new percentage is used to calculate the remining hours per week.
      is there a patch or hot fix that i need to apply?  i am on Microsoft Office Project 2007 (12.0.6211.1000) SP 1 MSO (12.0.6554.5001)

Dennis Smith
      Keymaster
      Richard,
      There have been several updates to Project Server 2007 since your latest.  I suggest updating to the most current SP and CU and then see if the problem persists.
      Thanks,
      Larry Christofaro
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.