Home Forums Discussion Project was opened from a server in read-only mode

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kiran Khanvilkar 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello,

We’ve had several instances where:
    Schedule is created in MS Project 2016
    Published in PWA 2013
    User goes into PWA and goes to make updates to the project schedule – Edit, In Microsoft Project.
    The project opens in read-only mode.

Few things we have done –
    1 – Edits can be made in the browser by all users.
    2 – In most cases, I (as an admin) can get into the schedule, but have to re-save under another name. Sometimes, it is vice versa, where I can’t get in, but the PM can.
    3 – We’ve tried to highlight the project row in PWA and then open it in MS Project for editing (option from the Project tab).
    4 – Thinking through other options, I tried to open the enterprise project through MS Project (versus PWA).

I have step-by-step screen shots of this if it’ll help. At the end of all of this, I was finally able to Check-Out the project via selecting Read/Write when opening the enterprise schedule through MS Project. I would think this is the same process #3 above, but it seems like it is not.

Not sure what the cause is or if how I got to the end result is how I should document a procedure for others when this happens. Then there is the why does this happen. I think it has to do with the publish process getting hung up somewhere, but I’m not sure of that.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kerry

#413510 Reply
    Larry Christofaro
    Larry Christofaro
    Participant
    • Expert
    • Forum Pro
    • Ombud

Hi Kerry,
    It’s a bit difficult to follow the issue(s) from above but I can give you some general statements that might help.
    * Project by default opens the project schedule in view mode unless you specifically open it with an edit option (in PWA or Project)
    * The project schedule is a single user edit that requires check-in and check-out, as you know. PWA and Project actually use separate sessions when editing a project, so you can’t physically open a schedule to edit in MS Project when you already have it opened for edit in PWA (or visa-versa).
    * Saving a project as a new name and then deleting and renaming a project can create issues, especially if you are updating the schedule using timesheets or task sheets. The project may end up with the same name but to Project Server/Online they are completely different.

Hope this helps. I’m happy to go through your screen shots if the above doesn’t help…(you have my email address…:-)

Hope everything is going well…

#415188 Reply

Kiran Khanvilkar

Hi Kerry,

I worked on similar issue couple of days back. The root cause was the security update KB4489886. Issue was resolved after uninstalling this update. https://ppmworks.com/project-names-with-a-space-fail-to-open-from-project-center/

#415195 Reply

Kiran Khanvilkar

Sorry Kerry, please ignore my response. It was meant for another issue and not the one you reported.

Thank you,
    Kiran K.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Project was opened from a server in read-only mode
Your information:

63 − 55 =